Friday, January 1, 2010

Looking back, looking forward

January always makes me reflective. I don't think it is a coincidence that this month is named for an ancient God that looked both backward and forward.
The holidays were a bit of a mixed bag this year.
For the most part, it was a time of festivities and family fun. We sang, shopped, played games, made a wonderful gingerbread creation and generally laughed our heads off. I could not have asked for a more wonderful time with them.
However, it was also a time of stress and worry for a loved one who is suffering health problems. Added to that, a small amount of anger and hurt feelings thrown into the mix as well. And, that doesn't even mention the pulled hip muscle, flat tire and backed up septic tank. Wow.
It is always amazing to me that joy and sorrow can exist simultaneously in the same life and even the same experience. Those people I admire most are those who can compartmentalize the two and then focus on the joy.
That is what I will attempt to do in this blog.
Don't worry, I certainly have my struggles; the messy house, the family drama, the feelings of being overwhelmed. There are also moments of insecurity, anger, depression and frustration. But, this place will not be about all of that. Here I will focus on the important things; creativity, family, beauty, spirituality and joy.
That may seem a bit "Pollyanna" but whatever. I love Pollyanna. There is much wisdom in her story.
At it's most elemental, happiness is a choice and life is about what we choose to focus on.