Monday, February 15, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes..turn and face the strange.

I am sorry to say there won't be any photos posted with this entry. Being away from home limits what I can do. However, this time away has given me a chance to observe and think a bit. I have been contemplating the seasons of life.

I agree with the line from one of my favorite James Taylor songs, "The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." We bring so much misery on ourselves when we yearn for a season that has not yet (and may never) come to us or pine for a season that is passed and gone. We have to accept what life is offering us now. If we do, it will shower us with blessings that will be forever hidden from us if we don't.

Let me start by admitting that I hate change. I have often said, if it weren't for my curious, adventurous, gypsy husband, I would be a hermit in a cave somewhere. Thankfully, being with Matt has required me to explore new horizons and as a result my spirit has grown. It still is not easy for me, but I can honestly say I am better at it.

Change is difficult, even frightening. Especially if we are content with how things are and want them to stay that way. But the funny thing about that is, we never are where we think we are. Life is never static. However trite the saying may be, it is true that time marches on. So when we refuse to change, we may think we are simply choosing to stay the same when the reality is, we will not stay the same. We will begin to regress. There is a scripture that says it all:

"For he that receiveth, to him shall be given: but he that continueth not to receive, from him shall be taken even that which he hath."

This is a universal truth. It holds up under any microscope.

If this week has taught me one thing it is this: happiness and success in life hinges on our ability to embrace change, even when that change is unwelcomed and thrust upon us.

As I speed down the road of life heading into the unknown future, I vow to remember this. Then I really will be able to enjoy the passage of time and explore those new horizons with optimism.