Monday, March 29, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

Lately, I have become obsessed with a little show on TLC called Hoarding. I am just fascinated with it. In fact, I have started recording it so as to not miss any shows. Dare I say it? I am hoarding episodes of Hoarders.
Anyway, after watching a few shows, I became a little uneasy about the state of my sewing room. Truthfully, that room looked like it was the home of a level 5 hoarder. So last Friday was spent cleaning out and organizing. Here are the results.


I sorted most fabric by color. However, if I had an entire line I gave it it's own bin. There are also bins for particular designers I love.


Cuts larger than a half yard got their own shelf.



My scraps got sorted into light, medium and dark bins.  I even have bins for my batting and for tiny scraps I am going to put together in a Ticker Tape Quilt.


My sewing area is now neat and tidy.



Once the room was finished, I was seized by a wave of creative energy and spent the entire weekend working.
Remember these? Well here is what I have done with them so far.


I found the green polka dot while I was organizing. I think it gives a more modern look to the blocks. I haven't figured out what fabric to use for the final border but I will post a photo when I finish.
While I was sorting through my scraps, I realized I had some good stuff so I put together a few blocks.


I like the muted colors and think they will look great in a quilt for a little girl.
After that, I made a couple more blocks for the nativity quilt I have been working on here and there. I decided to make the block for Baby Jesus different so that it would stand out. I've never done a wonky star before. I am very happy with it.




Last but not least, I finished the March blocks for my quilting bee.


I have mixed feelings about the technique Barb asked us to use simply because it was a bit time consuming. However, I love the resulting blocks and will probably use it again on a small project like a baby or lap quilt.
Wow, what a productive weekend for me! On top of all that sewing, Matt and I hit the mall to buy clothes for our newly trim bodies and went to a lovely dinner party Saturday evening. Not to mention, church on Sunday. A little bit of cleaning definitely goes a long way.