Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Quilt Worthy

I don't really believe in chance or coincidence. Perhaps for small, insignificant things, but then again, we never really know what might be significant.

Case in point, this quilt.

I put the finishing stitch in it this week. I blogged about it in an earlier post. I said at that time I hoped to have the quilting done by the end of the week, so I could give it to someone as a surprise.

Well, I didn't get it done by the end of that week or the week after. One thing after another kept getting in the way and no matter how often I blocked out time in my schedule to work on it, it just didn't happen. It was extremely frustrating because I was eager to surprise my dear friend.

Then, last week something happened. I won't go into the details here, because when I began this blog I vowed to keep it positive. Suffice it to say, my "dear friend" turned out not to be a friend at all. In fact, that person is no longer part of my life and I am still sorting through the lies.

What does this have to do with my non-belief in coincidence, you ask?

Well, my quilts are precious to me; my fabric children, if you will. I give birth to them through my blood (literally, when I have jabbed myself with a needle or run over my finger with the sewing machine. Don't ask.), sweat and (sometimes) tears. When I release them into the world, they represent a piece of me, define a certain time in my life. If I give one away, I want it to go to a certain type of person. I even have a name for it.

When I ponder on whether to give someone a quilt the question I repeatedly ask myself is, "Are they Quilt Worthy?" Someone who qualifies is one who will truly appreciate and care for it. They don't have to treat it like a museum piece. No, I definitely want it used. Nothing gives me a better feeling than to see a quilt I have given become well worn and faded. They just have to understand and have respect for the process. They need to "get it."

There is now no doubt in my mind that the person I intended the quilt for doesn't have the capacity to "get it." And, if I had finished that quilt on time and given it to her as planned, when everything came down, I would have felt even more used than I do.

Ultimately, you have to decide if there was a higher power involved. Was there an unseen hand preventing me from completing it on my schedule? I choose to believe there was. I believe God is just that intimate in our lives. Amazingly, as soon as that person showed their true colors, time opened up in my schedule and I was able to spend two full days finishing the quilt.

So now, I have to decide what to do with this little baby.


I am lucky, in that there are so many quilt worthy people still in my life. I would be happy for any one of them to receive it. One of them may soon discover a surprise package in their mail. Then again, Matt wants me to keep it. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do?

What would you do?