Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Process

The Process Pledge

I was reading this amazing blog the other day and decided that even though I am not a well known blogger, perhaps sharing my process might be valuable to someone, somewhere.  Even if it only encourages someone else to try something they are interested in but are for some reason afraid to try.

Lately, I have been giving myself little challenges and goals to try to improve my skills.  For this quilt, the challenge I gave myself was to use only fabric I already had on hand. The goal was to improve my skills in composition and color combination.

I used this book as a guide and decided I would trust my instincts and just go for it. 


Remember these fabrics from last weeks post?

I cut and sewed them into various small blocks.  Then put them all on my design wall.  Although, calling it that  is really a pretentious overstatement.  My "design wall" is just a piece of batting unceremoniously tacked to the wall behind my sewing room door.
I aspire to one day be a good enough quilter to deserve a full blown studio with one whole wall as a dedicated design board.  One who creates and sells their own patterns and fabrics and maybe even gets invited to publish an article or take part in a book. Believe me, I am not there yet and probably never will be but, a girl can dream, right??  Anyway...

I played around with the small blocks and began to group them into larger blocks.  I tried not to be too fussy and just run with my own intuition.


I kept grouping and sewing, grouping and sewing.  As I moved the pieces around, certain combinations seemed to want to go together.  I also left some spaces between the groupings and this helped me realize I needed some "quiet" spaces.  Spaces that weren't so pieced and busy.  So I started adding here and trimming there...


By 9:30 pm. (I started at about 1:00) this is what had come together. I did add some small strips of one other fabric because I felt that it needed a lighter solid.  If not solid, then something that would read solid.
I think I like it but I'm going to let it sit for a while.  Already, several times today I have stood for several minutes just staring at it. So far, I haven't felt compelled to move or remove anything.
I like that it is very random, yet geometric. I think I have the right balance of color and composition but, I will admit I am not sure.  I would love a little feed back from those who might be more experienced in color and design.  However, I would also love to hear from you whether you quilt or not.  Does anything jump out as a glaring error??  Please feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think. 

On another note, I wanted to show you the "process" I deal with every time I bind a quilt.

Whenever I bind a quilt, The Joe has to be right in the middle of it.  And when I say right in the middle of it, that is exactly what I mean...

He will stay like that for hours.  Having to work around him makes the process of binding a bit more arduous, but I just don't have the heart to evict him.  So just know that if you get a quilt from me, a little "Joe Love" comes with it too.