Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stress Relief

My camera battery is now fully recharged so I have pictures, pictures, pictures.  Yay!  
I think blog posts are so much more fun with a few photos thrown in.
Yesterday was my math final so the weekend was spent studying.  I don't remember exams being so stressful when I was younger.  However, now that I am older, I find I get so stressed by them that my brain can actually freeze up when I take them.  No matter how hard I have studied, I can look at the questions and just draw a blank.  
Luckily that didn't happen this time.  I think I did fairly well but boy, am I glad it's over.  I'm not taking any classes this summer so when I walked out of that final, I felt the weight of the world lift off my shoulders.  Can someone remind me why on earth I decided to do this???
Anyway, I did take a couple of breaks from studying to work on some small projects for stress relief.

 
This is the mini quilt I mentioned in my last post.  Notice the little white paws in the corner?  I had quite a time getting Joe off the quilt so I could take this photo.  This is as far away as I could get him to move.  He was bound and determined to be in the shot!
I finished the quilting over the weekend and am quite happy with it.  I am going to bind it with the large check.  I made it for the next Los Angeles Quilt Guild meeting.  They are having a mini quilt swap.  I hope whoever gets mine is pleased.  

I did straight line quilting but didn't use any type of guide.  I like it.  I think it gives it a very organic look.  

Hey, maybe I don't want to give it away after all...

The only other thing I had time for was to whip up this card.  I got the idea from here.  I think these are such a cool idea. I will be making many more in the near future. 
 

 
This is the vintage apron I made from the latest Stitch Magazine. It was a bit challenging because the article showed a drawing and gave the measurements but I had to draw the pattern on the fabric myself. It took a bit of adjusting, but I made it work.  I also made my own bias tape for the first time.  It looks great but the process definitely convinced me I need one of these
And, just for the fun of it, I thought I would show off a couple of other items I have made for my home.

 
This is a perpetual calendar I made from this kit from Sweetwater on Etsy.  I don't know if they still have it, but everything they have in their shop is wonderful.  Pop over and check it out.

This is one of the first quilts I ever made.  I worked on it during those long months when Matt had moved ahead to Hawaii and I was left behind to sell the house in Texas.  The pattern is called Log Cabin Luau.  I made it to display in our little beach cottage. 

 These flip-flops or as they say in Hawaii, slippers,  are why I couldn't resist making it.  I loved it in our home in Maui and I still love it so much, it hangs in our living room in Camarillo.  It reminds me of our time in the islands.

Lastly, here are some gems I recently picked up from JoAnne Fabric.  That shop has really stepped it up in the quality and design of their fabric.



I don't know if you can tell but the design on the pink fabric is of bees and the fabric underneath looks like honeycomb. (Bad Pun Alert!) I am just buzzing with ideas about what to do with them. Teeheehee.

 These beauties were just too good to pass up.  I am sure you will be seeing them soon.

 I also had to have these lovely, modern orange prints.  

I will be using the orange floral in my next project so stay tuned.