Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Requiem in fabric

 This is the quilt I thought I would have more time to make.  When I selected the fabric, everything was looking up.  Dad was finishing his cancer treatments and the feedback from the doctors was very positive.  I am still in shock that 2 months later he is no longer with us. I wish now I hadn't let life get in the way.  I regret that I did not make time to sit down and get it made for him.  Now, it can only be my requiem for a man I will miss for the rest of my life. 
While I was home with my mother she expressed a desire that I still make the quilt so, as soon as I got home I set to work.  The blocks came together easily enough but the bottom piece gave me a bit of trouble.
I first tried these colored squares and while all the colors matched, it just didn't seem to go. I left it on the design wall for a couple of days thinking that I just needed to get used to it, but each time I saw it, I hated it more.  Finally I got out the seam ripper.
Once I put the dark brown piece on, the quilt came together.  I added a bit of rick-rac as a feminine touch for Mom since she is the person who will now use the quilt.
The checkered piece found a home on the back where I like it much better. 
I have been reading a lot of posts about the importance of labeling and signing quilts so I whipped this baby up to fill the bill.  Quilty-poo is what Matt and I call our own personal quilts and mother loved it, so now she has her own. 
And, while I do love the idea of my own handwritten label, I think I am going to have a graphic artist friend design a real label that I will have printed at Spoonflower.
Here is a little project I finished just before we left for Utah.  It is a cozy for my beloved iPad.  I followed this tutorial. It was quick, easy and I love the results.  Just be aware that since my iPad has a case, I made the cozy bigger than the measurements in the tutorial.  It fits beautifully and it matches my quilty-poo.
Last but certainly not least is this beautiful fabric I received in the mail yesterday.  (Please pardon the unsightly brown thread I failed to notice in the center of the chair fabric.  Serves me right for taking and editing photos without my glasses on!)
This fabric is called Tufted Tweets by Laurie Wisbrun and I have coveted it ever since I first found her sight on Etsy.  Unfortunately, the fabric was a tad too expensive for my budget, so I just admired it from afar.  Since then, Michael Miller scooped her up and her designs just barely came out this month.  I bought a yard each and plan to buy some in each colorway.  Most of the top online fabric sights now carry it.  I bought mine from Harthorne Threads, but I know Fabricworm carries it as well.  I love this fabric so much, I almost can't see myself cutting into it...almost.