Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sea Glass and Star Fish

    
 That is the name I finally decided on for this mini quilt I made a while ago.  I decided on the name as I was setting up my decor in our new house.  I noticed a couple of patterns in my decorating.
First of all, I love sea glass.  I have it everywhere.  I love all of its colors but am especially drawn to glass colored in blues, aquas and greens.

Second, I love to collect all types of seashells but I truly love starfish.  Again, I have them in several different places in my home.
As I was hanging the quilt in my entry, I noticed it had echos of all those things.  Somehow, without my realizing it, I worked them into my original design.  That is what I love about art of any kind.  Intentional or not, what you love will find it's way into your work.
I spent Saturday at the Long Beach International Quilt Festival and made quite a haul.  I went by myself because I didn't want to have to worry about someone else's schedule if I wanted to hang around one both for a long time or stay late.  It was a wonderful day spent wandering the convention floor and checking out every single vendor booth for as long as I wanted.  Want to see my favorite purchases?
These two beauties are from Alexander Henry from a line called The Nasties.  Is it not to die for???  Anyone who knows me well knows that I love Halloween and these will make a wonderful quilt to add to my collection of holiday quilts.
These are from a line I fell in love with as soon as I saw it.  It is called Wordplay by Michele D'Amore for Benartex.  I cannot wait to work with these.
I seemed to have a thing for red and black that day, as I couldn't stop buying them.  These will be put to good use with some Metro Market fabric I have in my stash.
These voile fabrics have the most wonderful feel to them.  I could not stop touching them while I was in the Honey Run Quilters Booth. I wanted to buy some of every color and pattern but at $7.50 for a quarter yard, it was a bit steep for my budget that day.  I will have to buy some bit by bit.  I don't think I am going to make a quilt from them, although they had a beautiful display they had made.  I think I will make a couple of beautiful blouses instead. 
And just a word about Honey Run Quilters.  This is the second year I have had the pleasure of shopping from them at the convention.  Their staff is so friendly and helpful.  I just wish I lived closer to them so I could shop there every day. If you find yourself in Chico and you love fabric, do yourself a favor and shop there.  I know I will.
And last but not least, is this great button pendant.  I just had to have it.
 Yesterday I finished my mini quilt for QSBC.  Here it is ready to be mailed to my secret partner.  I wish I could show it to you, but I don't want to spoil her surprise.  I will give the big reveal on August 15th.
 
I also finished the July block for my quilting bee.  I love the fabrics she sent.  I think her quilt is going to be beautiful.
And last but not least, I'll show you one last bit of decor from my house...


This is my heart rock collection.  I show it simply because everyone who comes into my home comments on how much they love it.  The smallest one will fit on the head of a tack.
I collected the rocks while we lived in Maui.  Every week or so, my friend Aimee and I would hunt for shells on the local beaches.  One day I found a single rock that was shaped like a heart and it sparked a desire to find more.  Every time I was at a beach, I would search.  Weeks would go by without me finding one, but when I did, I treasured it.  Pretty soon I had enough for my collection. 
Collecting my rocks and shells taught me a couple of things about life.
Some times as I was searching, I would find myself walking behind someone else who was searching for shells as well.  They would be scanning the beach for the "big find" and would usually go home empty handed.  However, many times as I was coming along behind them, I would find a tiny, perfectly shaped shell or heart rock right in the footprint they left in the sand.  They were so busy looking for something big they missed the small beauties right under their feet.
I think that is how it can be in our lives.  So this week, don't let yourself miss the small, beautiful blessings right under your feet by constantly scanning the horizon for more. Spend your weeks "collecting" the small blessings and you will soon find that you have more than you ever hoped for.