Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The big reveal

My partner received her quilt in the mail so I can finally show the mini quilt I made.
Inspired by her love for the Farmer's Market, I drafted a design of a wonky farm stand.

As always happens, the project took on a life of it's own and I ended up making some changes in the design, but when all was said and done it turned out pretty much the way I envisioned it.  

 As luck would have it, I found some fabric in my stash with fruit, vegetables, milk cans and the words "homemade" and "farm fresh" on it, so I was able to cut them out and raw edge applique them on the design. 
I had some cute buttons in the shapes of watermelon, grapes and a basket so I decided to incorporate them as well. 
 I cut out some patchwork hills from a piece of patchwork I had left over from this project and then did a little free hand machine embroidery to finish everything off.  
 
What I love most about this project is that it was a true stash buster for me. Other than the border fabric, I did not purchase any new fabric.  This project gave me a chance to go through all my fabric and find ways to make them work for me.   It was a great experience.  I hope to do another doll quilt swap soon.