Friday, August 6, 2010

One of these things is not like the others...

I have been quilting along with the Block Party blog and they recently posted a new block for us to work on.  Here is my first try.

I really like the results so I made another one for my bee.


I really love how this one turned out.  I love Bonnie's fabric and color choices.  They made for a very cheery block.
Then a couple of days ago, my colleague Kathy and I decided to make a collaborative quilt to hang up our lunch room.  The current state of our lunch room can only be compared to a cell at Auschwitz, so everyone on our floor is contributing something handmade so spruce up the place.  
Anyway, we decided we would each make 6 improvisational blocks using reds, grays and blacks.  I knew the first block I made for block party would fit with the color scheme but it was just too symmetrical for an improvisational quilt.  So I got out my rotary cutter, slashed the block and added a couple strips of fabric.

  
Call me crazy, but I like this block even better than the original.  I definitely think it will fit now.  

Here are the other blocks I have made so far.



I am sure our quilt will help make the daily scrabble games in the lunch room even more fun.