Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Excellence

I think it was Hannibal from The A Team who always used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together!"  Well, so do I, baby, so do I. 
For a while now, I have been working to put together our annual Evening of Excellence program for the young women of our church youth group.  The evening is basically a night to celebrate  the achievements and accomplishments they have made throughout the year.  Our church has a program called Personal Progress based on 8 different values. It is a wonderful program that helps the girls understand who they are and helps them gain self-esteem through setting and achieving goals. 
Each value has a colored assigned to it so our theme for last nights event was Personal Progress Let's Us Color Our World. 
Before I show some of the highlights, I want to give credit where credit is due.  The idea for the rainbow cake and the printables of the frames for the self-portraits came from One Charming Party.  A wonderful website with ideas for some of the most well, charming, parties I have ever seen.  Be sure and check it out, I am sure you will be as inspired as I was. 
The paint can centerpieces and self-portrait gallery ideas were something I ran across on Sugar Doodle.
Thank heaven for internet!  Party planning inspiration is no more than a click away.
Here are some of the hightlights:


I labeled each paint can with the purpose statement and scripture from each value.  The wording and tissue paper insert were done in the value color.

Our beehive class painted this giant palette with the color and purpose of each value.

Each girl made a funky, little self portrait which we displayed gallery style along one wall.

 

The hit of the evening were the cakes.  I'm no Bakerella, but I was pretty happy with the way these turned out. 
The best part is the surprise inside!  The rainbow layers were the perfect compliment to our theme.

I made custom labels with the name and date of the event for our water bottles.  I got the striped straws from Kikkerland.

I made a few cupcakes with any left over batter I had from the different colored layers and frosted them with off-center, Suessical swirls.


We had each girl and leader put together a presentation board of one project they had completed during the course of the year.  Here is mine.




For my Faith value project, I decided to memorize "The Living Christ".  It was no easy feat, but I finally did it.  In fact, I will be giving a talk this Sunday during which I will recite it from memory.  Say a prayer for me that I will be able to remember it under pressure!
Can I just show you what, out of the entire evening, I was most proud of making?!  Check out the little 3D, paper Ipod I made for my display!  Don't ask me why, but this tickles me. :-D
Yep, I love it when a plan comes together.