Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year

It's been rainy around here lately.  Most people might be a little depressed about this but I love it.  It's the signal that my favorite season of the year is here.
I absolutely love autumn.  Granted, each season has it's charm. Winter is quiet, Spring is fresh and Summer is laid back and relaxed.  But there is something about Fall that inspires me.  I am sure that part of the thrill is because it is the gateway season to the holidays but it is also the cooler, crisp days and cozier nights.  It just makes me feel "homey", like all I want to do is bake treats and feather my little nest.
Speaking of feathering my nest...
This is the time of year when my digs get transformed into my own version of a haunted house.  I guess you could call the decor "Witchy Kitchy".
I just love my crystal ball.  The witch hat is made out of an old cornucopia and a grape vine wreath wired together, spray painted and decorated with black and purple flowers & netting.

This is Boney.  Every evening he tickles the ivories with eerie melodies to haunt our dreams.

I love masks.  There is just something elegant yet creepy about them.  This mask hanging from one of my guilded pumpkins is one I covered with paper punched leaves.


These photos are truly my favorite decoration.  I found old black and white photos of graveyards and old houses online and printed them out and put them in all of the frames I have.  I even have one of Edgar Allan Poe that is genuinely hair-raising.

I've added a bit to this mantle scene since I took this photo.  I have to post a better photo later.

 Moving into the kitchen, even a witch has to have a cute apron for concocting a bit of witches brew.


Recipes and a menu for the ghostess with the mostess.

 And of course, we must set the proper table.




 This is my little menagerie of feathered friends and furry little fiends.
 



Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Double, double toil and trouble
Something wicked this way comes
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Double, double toil and trouble
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
Something wicked this way comes