Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Say hello to my little friend

(Cue heavenly choir singing Hallelujah chorus)

After 20 years with my old Babylock (the last five of which were a miserable struggle), my wonderful husband gifted me with this. 
To say I was surprised is the understatement of the year.  Oh, in my heart of heart, I hoped one day to be able to get a new serger.  My Babylock ran so rough that while using it I was forced to completely clear the sewing table or whatever was there would bounce off.  Plus, toward the end it only ran for about a minute before it died. Then I would have to stop, let it cool off, sew again for a minute until it died again, etc., etc.  This process made for very tedious and frustrating sewing.
I'm sure I casually mentioned these facts once or twice in passing (she said sheepishly) but, we never buy expensive gifts for our birthdays and there are about a million other more important ways to use our money, so I had resigned myself to the idea that it wouldn't be coming anytime soon.
On Monday, for her maiden voyage, I whipped out a Christmas apron. She runs like a dream, smooth as butter.  I am in heaven. Thank you, thoughtful husband, for once again reminding me why you're my lobster.
Speaking of Christmas aprons.  I am making them so that everyone in the family (even the guys...theirs are called "maprons") will have one for our annual Christmas Eve gingerbread fest.
The tradition of putting together a gingerbread house came about when the boys were young and needed something to occupy them during the endless hours preceding Christmas morning.  Over the years, as we got more skilled at it, our houses became more elaborate. Here are some photos from last years creation, "Santa's Barn".


Kade and I were discussing what we should make this year and here is what we decided on:

First a tricked out sleigh with it's own barn and now a tugboat, I guess Santa is a typical man who has to have his toys.  Stay tuned to see how it turns out.
I can't believe it's already time to be thinking about Christmas, but here we are.  I have already started on the Christmas sewing.

This is the quilt I am finishing for Kyle, aka The Best Trainer Ever.  His uniform at the gym is black and red.  I incorporated in some gray and pink because those are the colors of my gym outfits.  I hope he likes it.

Here are my three new favorite quilting books.  Material Obsessions 2 is amazing but since the quilts in there look like they would take a lifetime to finish, I think it will serve more as inspiration for color, texture, pattern, etc.
The other two are filled with modern, simple block quilts that better fit with the time constraints of my life.  I have already picked out a pattern from The Practical Guide To Patchwork for my next quilt.  I promised Kade I would make him a quilt from Circa 60 when it comes out in December.
Hang in there, Kade!  It's coming.  It's coming.