Wednesday, November 3, 2010

So, let me 'splain. No there's too much. Let me sum up...

It's been a whirlwind around here, lots to talk about. 
Believe it or not, even with all the decorating, Halloween managed to sneak up on me.  I don't know.  There is just something out of whack when Halloween falls on a Sunday.  It seems a bit of an oxymoron. Never the less, we managed to have fun with it. 
The Friday before,  I hosted a yummy "Groan-up's" Halloween dinner party complete with pasta bar for the main course and cream puffs with pumpkin pie ice cream for dessert.  I bought the most delicious butternut squash ravioli from Costco and topped it with a browned butter/sage sauce...2D4!!
After dinner we played Werewolves of Millers Hollow, a fun party game similar to Mafia but more appropriately themed for a Halloween gathering.  I even threw on a CD with Halloween sound effects, such as screaming women and chomping zombies, to make the atmosphere down right creepy at times.
Halloween night I broke out the pumpkin carving kit and proceeded to give a lobotomous makeover to my unsuspecting pumpkins.
No Halloween would be complete without a bit of The Joe, so a pumpkin with his face on it was definitely in order.  However, I don't think anyone got my Emoticon pumpkin.  Matt thought it might have helped if I had carved it horizontally instead of vertically.  I'll have to remember that for next year.
 This warty fellow caused quite a stir. 
But the favorite, hands down, was The Pumpkin King, Jack. 
Here they are, my quartet of wacko Jacko-s ready to haunt the night. 
In between all the revelry I've been getting my quilt on as well.
I bought Camille Roskelly's new quilt book, Simplify.  What a great book!  Wonderful, modern quilts that go together in a snap from pre-cuts.
I had some Halloween fabric from several years ago in my stash and I decided her "Little Man" quilt would be a perfect fit for it.
The top went together very quickly and turned out great.  Now all I have to do is quilt it.
And, speaking of quilting...
Remember this little baby?  Well, I made two of them at the same time.  I finished the one for my Mom and will give it to her when I see her at Thanksgiving.  This is the extra one.
My friend Kathy, showed me a cool, over-all quilting technique I have been dying to try so I thought I would give it a go on this quilt. 
It turned out great.  I love it! 
So now it is on to Thanksgiving and then Christmas.  Yay!  It most definitely is the most wonderful time of the year.