Thursday, February 10, 2011

First Finish of 2011

I finished binding it while I was in Maui. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

I decided to fill in the white spaces with a small stipple stitch. It really makes the floral print pop.
This one is going in my sitting room. Perhaps that will help me to actually sit in there now.

Lately, I have been reading about "mini bolts" as the latest rage for organizing your stash. I have read about them here, here, and here just to cite a few. So, I decided to give it a try.

Doesn't it look amazing! I am completely sold on the idea. Using the comic book inserts works great. They are inexpensive and easy to find. I went down to the local comic shop and bought two packages of 100 for $7.99 each. And, not only does this take up much less space than the bins I previously used, having the fabric displayed in this way makes it much easier for me to "shop" my own stash. My quilting room has become my own personal fabric store and I am finding that I use fabric I already have rather than running out to buy more.
Don't get me wrong, though. I still add to my stash. Here are two fabrics I picked up from The Maui Quilt Shop while I was on-island last week. I saw them and just had to have them. I could have bought much more, but had to restrain myself because I knew I would be purchasing these...
Remember this post where I promised to make Kade a quilt as soon as Circa 60 came out? Well, it's out and it came in the yesterday's mail! YAY!
Isn't it gorgeous (she asked with breathless awe)??
I was so excited to get it, I practically ripped the package open with my teeth! Once I got it open, I spent the next 15 minutes fondling each separate piece, even rubbing them against my cheek.
Ooooo, lil' seagulls!
Since his newest hobby is learning to play the ukulele, I think Kade will be most excited about this  fabric. Of course, there is one thing I'm not sure I like. Can you see it? The selvage is HUGE!
It is a full two inches! While I am not one of them, I know there are many quilters out there who like to collect and sew with selvages, which might be why they did it. That would be fine, if they compensated by making their fabric a bit wider, but they didn't. Once the selvage is cut off, there is only 43 inches of usable fabric left. Normally, I wouldn't make an issue of it. However, this fabric is from a manufacturer that makes "organic cotton" quilting fabric for which they charge twice as much. This fabric costs a full $16.50 yard.  (Yes Kade, your mother loves you enough to blow her entire monthly quilting budget on fabric for you.)  For $16.50, I expect the entire 44-45 " of fabric. I mean really, is that asking too much?