Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without...

I don't know when or where I first heard this saying but, ever since I reorganized my stash,  it seems to be my new quilting motto. I am really trying to use up what I already have rather than always buying new.
To that end, last week, I channeled my inner Dr. Frankenstein and sewed this monster together out of all my left over batting pieces.

I don't know about you, but I have tons odd sized batting pieces left over from previous projects going to waste in a huge bin.  Well, no more! For the next while, I will be toiling in my lab until I have stitched it all together.  Can I just admit that all this thriftiness has me feeling ridiculously pleased with myself?  Okay, I'm a nerd.  Don't judge.

My Frankenbatting really didn't take all that long to sew together and I got enough to use in my next two projects.  Here they are waiting their turn to be quilted.  You might recognized the blue, brown and white quilt.  I'm furiously trying to get it done before I head to Utah next week for the baby shower.  I love the way it is turning out so far.  I think it will look great with the straight-line grid quilting I have planned for it.
The other quilt behind it is a car quilt I am making for The Joe.  We love to take him on car trips but, that boy can shed!  I know they say that Boxers don't but, don't you believe it!  Previously, we have put beach towels for him all over the back seat but then I found the cutest doggie print in my stash and well...you know the rest.  Quilts do find their owners.  Even if they are of the four legged variety.

Here is my latest finish.  I started the blocks a couple of months ago and finally got around to putting them together. It turned out even cuter than I had hoped.
I sewed a raw edged binding on it. 
I love way it frayed out after I washed it.
Here is the back.

I think the blast of color against all the white on the front makes the quilt very dynamic.
I have a lot of left over squares.  I see several more of these in my future.