Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Scrappily ever after?

scrap·pyAdjective/ˈskrapē/

1. Consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts.
2. Determined, argumentative, or pugnacious.

Yeah, that about covers it.  That's me.  At least for today, anyway.  My house is disorganized, untidy and filled with things that I can't seem to get completed.  To top that off, this morning I was determined to have an argument with my husband, who finally slammed out of the house in frustration due to my pugnaciousness.
Yep, it been a pretty darn scrappy morning.  I have no one to blame but myself.  Sigh...

Scrappiness had a much nicer connotation last week when some quilting bee buddies and I got together for another one of our "scrapfests".


This is a fun afternoon get-together we hold on a fairly regular basis, to which we all bring our scraps and assembly line wonky blocks for everyone.

 Someone trims...

Someone presses...(yes, we do have a gentleman quilter in the group.  We love Rob!)

and someone sews.  During which, there is  a lot of gabbing, copious amounts of laughing, plenty of encouragement and just general camaraderie.  I love it! For me, it is what quilting is all about.

My anal-ness finally paid off when I won the coveted prize of "most organized scraps."  I have them in this nice little rolling container, sorted by color. But, I have to admit it wasn't much of a contest.

This was my competition. :)
 
Here are the blocks I came away with. (Sorry for the terrible photography.  I was taking these pictures at 6:00 a.m. this morning without much lighting)

These two are my favorites

Look at the 'lil puppy!

My goal for putting this quilt together is to do it without buying anything.  It all has to come from what I have on hand.  So, this is the direction I am going.

I LOVE how the blocks go with the denim.  It reminds me of the fabric patches we used to put on our jeans back in the 70's when I was a teen.  However, when I checked my stash, this is all I had, so there just isn't going to be enough.  But I will definitely be keeping this in mind for future scrappy quilts.

I did find these gray pieces leftover from a previous quilt.  I also found a matching 3/4 yard piece so this is what I will use for the sashing. 

Now I just have to decide which one of these will be the border and which one will be the backing.

I like this one.  It kind of stays in line with the feel of the other scraps.  It would make a very cute border.

But I'm leaning toward this one, because it picks up the colors of all the scraps and it has a nice, vintage feel to it.  Which to do like?  I would love it if you would leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

I've also been busy finishing up the quilting on this.

I'm working on the small filler quilting. It's quite time consuming

I love the way the swirls turned out.  They really pop the inside of the pinwheels.
I was hoping to have this quilt finished and ready for binding by the time we headed out to Mason's blessing in Utah this weekend, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to finish before we leave.
Then again, if Matt still isn't speaking to me tonight (and I wouldn't really blame him), I may have plenty of alone time to get 'er dun. 
So I guess the moral of this post is this.
Scrappiness in quilting...good.
Scrappiness in the marital relationship...bad.  Very. Very. Bad