Thursday, September 29, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Well, you might have noticed a couple of changes to the design and format of my blog.  This became necessary last week as I was innocently updating a couple of gadgets in my sidebar.
For some unknown reason, those small updates created havoc with the format of my entire site.  Long story short, new layout.  
I still can't get my followers to show up.  Hey, Google Blogger, what's up with that!!  I need my peeps!
You might notice that I have added a page to this blog.  I'm calling it "What's cooking".
Since I have lost 30 pounds, one of the most often asked questions I get is what I am eating.  People find it hard to believe that I don't have to suffer through meals of tofu and wheat grass.  When I tell them I probably eat better, tastier food than they do, they scoff.
So, I thought, every once and a while, I would do a post on some of the recipes I cook on a regular basis.  Many of them are fast and I think they are delicious.  Please keep in mind that I am neither a food blogger nor a photographer, so these posts will not be able to compete with the professionals.  But I can show you how what and how much I eat.  I will also tell you if it is my own recipe and if not, where I found it.
You may have also noticed that my play list no longer starts automatically.  I purposely made that change because I have read that some readers find it annoying and it also causes problems if they happen to be listening to music on their computers while they are blog surfing.  So now, if you want to hear what I have been listening to, you will have to click the play button for yourself.


Last weekend was a fun one.  Some members of my little bee and I spent Saturday morning at a local quilt show.  I will be honest and say, I was very underwhelmed with the quality of the quilts being displayed.  From what I can see, most quilters have issues with color (it's all about value, people!) and negative space.  Most of the quilts I see today are too garish and way, way too busy.
Anyway, I was ready to leave when I came across a display of vintage quilts hidden at the back of the hall of which, the above quilt was a part.  Now that's what I'm talkin' about, ladies.  This is how it's done. 

The white background gives my eye a place to rest and also focuses my attention on the hand quilting, which is phenomenal.

I love the care and attention this quilter took in her quilting design.  All over quilting is nice, but her attention to pattern truly enhances the pattern of the quilt top.

You can't see it too well here, but this quilt way lovingly made in the mid-1800's, a true heirloom.

This is another quilt that makes great use of negative space.  I'm not crazy about the pattern, but the colors...j'adore!

Again, I love the intricacy of the hand quilting.  I mean you've just gotta love the 'lil hearts.  This inspires me to be a little more adventurous in my quilting.  No, I'm not going to start hand quilting.  Sorry, I don't have that kind of patience.  Machine quilting allows me to actually finish more quilts, which is what I really like to do.

This scrappy, utility quilt gave me the vapors.  Even though there is a lot of color and pattern here, the muted color values kept it soothing.  I wanted to stuff this baby in my purse and sneak out the back with it!

I did have to wonder about the correctness of the label though.  It says it was made in the late 1800's.  Hmmm, I don't know.

That binding looks machine stitched to me and with a pretty fine stitch at that.  I don't know, did sewing machines do that kind of stitching back then?

This was another quilt that had me contemplating pulling the fire alarm and then absconding with it in all the commotion.  OH. MY. GOSH.  First of all, I have always wanted to attempt lone star quilt and secondly, the kaleidoscope effect of those colors!  Amazing.


This label says that the lucky owner found it at a thrift store for a few dollars.  Why, oh why do can't I ever make a find like that?



This quilt won me over because it's made from forgotten squares that someone's grandma stitched by hand.  I also love the biblical theme and even though you can't really see it, the bottom right corner is a scene of Daniel in the lion's den and she misspelled Daniel.  That little imperfection charms me.



These last two quilts made me melt.  Loud?  Yes.  Garish?  Oh, boy.  Busy with a bad use of negative space?  No doubt about it.  A certified, irreplaceable treasure? Absolutely.