Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hearth and home

Maybe it is the cool, cozy feeling in the air, but something about The Fall puts me in full-on nesting mode.  Every year I get the urge to redo and redecorate and this year is no different. So, armed with plenty of inspiration from Pinterest and several of my new favorite blogs, I have been making some subtle changes.

The hutch in my sitting room has been bothering me lately.  More and more, I found myself disliking the bold colored plates that I had there.  (Sorry, but for the life of me, I could not find a before picture.)  So, I removed the offending dinnerware, pulled out some starfish, sand dollars and  every neutral serving piece I own and here is what I came up with.


I lived with it a couple of days and then decided it needed a little more punch...

so, I took an aqua plate I had in my guest bath and used it as the center focal point.  I'm still not crazy about the floral dessert plates, but it is a work in progress.

I also changed the container for my shell collection to this lovely apothecary jar with an added bit of twill tape ribbon.

I have had these vintage spice tins just sitting in a box in a closet so I decided to see what I could do with them.

When I say vintage, I mean it.  Look at the price!

Anyway, with the help of a couple of magnets attached to the back, here they are now on the front of my fridge.

I love them.  I'm going to find some little flowers for the other two.

And finally, I collected several of these tiny bubble shells while I lived on Maui.  They have been languishing on a shelf in my hutch since we moved to California, but I decided I needed to do something a bit special with them.



So, I cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside a frame I had lying around, covered it with some linen fabric from my stash, pulled out my glue gun...

and, voila!  This now sits on my night stand.  
These are small changes I know, but they make me happy.  



Along with all of that, I am working on a quilt for my father-in-law.  He will celebrate his 95th birthday this November and we will be attending the big family party in his honor.  This quilty-poo is our gift to him.  I'll be sure a post picture of the finished quilt.
All in all, a very crafty, contented week for me.
I also made one of my very favorite, go-to dinners.  Check it out on the "What's cookin" page.