Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Essentials

 My family will tell you  that at Christmas, I am all about the music.  The more traditional the better.  I'm sorry, but it just isn't Christmas to me until I have broken out the Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis and Carpenter's CDs.  However, I am always on the look out for new music to add to my collection, so over the years a few others have become traditions as well.  Now I'm no iTunes, but I guess you could say these are my own "Essentials"

For my boys, this is the quintessential Christmas album.  This album is to them, what Johnny Mathis is to me.  And, it isn't just them.  My Christmas would not be the same without Animal screaming, "WON'T GO!"

Next is this album. Over the years, this plucky little album earned "classic" status.

 And of course, Mannheim Steamroller.  Nobody does a better version of Still, Still Still.

I don't think the rest of the family feels this way, but this is the latest keeper for me.  It combines my love for James Taylor with my favorite holiday, so this is a no brainer for me.  I think his version of Baby, It's Cold Outside is a delight.


Love her, too.  Plus, the fact that her voice is right in my range makes it doubly fun to sing along with.

Then of course, there is this fellow.  That velvet voice...dreamy...sigh...  Oh sorry, where was I again?  
Oh yeah, okay.
So I thought I would share with you three new inductees to my favorites list.  Listening to them makes me smile.  I hope they do you, too.  Enjoy.
(Disclaimer: Sorry about the quality of some of the videos.  The last two a pretty amateurish.)