Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A good day

My little quilt group has sewn together in the past, but last Monday we had our first "retreat".


I know that online quilting bees are all the rage now, but for me, this is what quilting is all about.

It was a day of stitching, ideas and encouragement.  We even played games.  

The theme of the day was "Bingo".  First we played  "strip bingo".  Everyone paid for their Bingo cards with 2 1/2' strips.  If you wanted 3 cards, you put 3 strips into the pot.  The winner of each round won the strips in the pot.  
Next we played "Quilt Bingo".  Here are the quilt block "bingo cards" I made to play with.  I downloaded the games from the Fons & Porter website.  It comes complete with instructions for making your quilt blocks, rules for the game and even cards to print off on Avery Business card stock. We played several round for small prizes and the final round was played for everyone's quilt blocks.  I won that round and now have several  squares I can piece together into a quilt. Yay for me!!

The other game we played wasn't a Bingo game.  We played Left, Center, Right but instead of passing chips, we passed fat quarters.  Oh my gosh, we had so much fun!  We were laughing our heads off as fat quarters were passed every which way!  When the game was finally over, Kris had won the pot and went home with 20 fat quarters.  Here she is happily showing off her haul.  

The rest of the day was spent working on our own projects and giving demonstrations.

Kathy taught us a curve technique.  Here is my attempt.  It's not too bad.  I played it very safe and didn't get too ambitious with my curves.  I will definitely be using this technique in the near future.

 
I demonstrated this machine quilting technique.  It is one of my all time favorites.

It was the finishing touch for the quilt I put together from the blocks I made at our last group get-together.
  

  

  I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

I even had enough time to make 12 squares from a vintage, juvenile airplane print I had in my stash.  

Since the retreat, I have been busy quilting a top that has been hanging in my UFO closet for a while.

 Remember this drawing?

Well, that drawing turned into these squares.


And, those squares are turning into this.  I'm using pink thread for the quilting and I love the look.  

I can't wait to finish and share it with you.


And so, I leave you with a little eye candy.  I saw this gem on Spoonflower.  I have a thing for selvages, so I just had to treat myself. 
Shhhhh, don't tell Matt.