Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love Letters

This post is a day late, but I wanted to go ahead with it anyway. 


Recently, I came into possession of an old trunk filled with photos and memorabilia.  At the bottom was a simple box, tied with a vintage ribbon.  Inside were these lovingly preserved letters.



They tell the story of two young lovers separated by war, written in their own handwriting.  They missed each other so much.


There is a letter for every day he was away.  They are sweet and romantic.


They speak of tender love and sorrow from separation. They also talk of every day things like buying a new car (for $2000.00!) and sending money home to put in their nest egg.
That I knew and dearly loved these people make these letters a priceless treasure to me.  They make me cry every time I read them.  Lucky for me, they are from a time before email, texts, Facebook and Twitter.
As long as their letters survive, my loved ones will live on.

You know, I love technology as much as the next person.  But, these letters make me wonder if we aren't doing ourselves a huge disservice. What are we really leaving behind to document our lives and feelings?

So, in honor of Valentines Day do yourself and your ancestors a favor.  Sit down and write a letter to someone you love today. Say everything you you know you should say to that person.  Don't hold anything back.

I promise you that tactile expression of your feelings will mean more to them than a hundred Twitter updates or Facebook birthday wishes.  I guarantee the person who receives your letter will hold onto it for the rest of their life.

And then one day, some lucky ancestor of yours will inherit that lovingly preserved letter and it will enrich their lives just as much as these letters have enriched mine.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentines Day filled with the sweet, sincere love that was expressed in these letters.
XOXOXO