Monday, June 25, 2012

They said it wouldn't last

Last Wednesday Matt and I celebrated our 31st anniversary.  I can't tell you how happy it makes me to say/write those words.
You might be tempted to think the title of this post is a bit of hyperbole but...no.  Believe me when I say that Matt and I were the only people who were happy about our marriage.
Both sets of parents were appalled!  The reasons? We were too different.  We were too young.  I was too naive.  Matt was too wild.  His parents thought I was a spoiled, gold digger. (This bit of logic has always alluded me since their family was dirt poor.  Literally. Dirt. Poor. )  My parents thought even less of Matt. (So little, I can't even repeat it.) 
Even those of our family and friends who weren't quite so verbal as our parents were silently dubious about our chances.


But, here we are 31 years later still going strong.  I have to admit that every year on our anniversary I'm tempted to call certain people and say, "Just thought you might like to know today is my (insert number) anniversary.  Choke on that, bub!"  But no, I never give in.  It's nice to fantasize though!

So Matt, here's to us!

Here's to the wild, cowboy...

who married the naive, city girl...




and gave her two beautiful boys...


whisked her off to live in exotic locals...



filled her life with fun and adventure...




and gave her "joy in her posterity"...

It's been a great life.

You have my heart.


Here is the soundtrack of our life.