Saturday, July 7, 2012

Jam

It all started when I flipped through this magazine while waiting in line at Vons.  The beautiful images and delicious sounding recipes filled me with the urge to put up some jam.
So I tossed the mag in my cart and excused myself from the line to find the needed supplies to purchase.  Luckily this mad impulse seized me on my day off, so I could get started right away.

I decided to start with this recipe. I've made freezer jam in the past so I knew I could handle it.
Oops, bad picture.  It says Lime-Kiwi Freezer jam.


This recipe was incredibly fast and easy.
I just peeled and chopped about 9 kiwis and added the zest of one lime.

Then comes the sugar.  Lots of sugar!
Yes, I did use white sugar.  I know that goes against my clean eating principles, but we will only be eating this as an occasional treat, so I went with the recipe as is.  Later, I might experiment to clean it up a bit.  Maybe I'll try it with honey or agave.

Once the sugar was incorporated, I let the mixture stand for 10 minutes.  It made a nice fruit syrup which I quite enjoyed licking off my fingers.
In the mean time, I boiled 1/2 cup of water with one box of pectin and the juice of about one lime.  After boiling for a minute, I stirred it into the fruit for 3 minutes to make sure all the sugar dissolved and wasn't grainy.


Once it cooled for about 15 minutes, I ladled it into my freezer containers.  I'm so proud of them!
Disclaimer: Making jam is a very exact science and since I'm pretty sure I would get thrown in jail for plagiarism if I put the exact recipe here on my blog. Therefore, I did not do so.
If you want to make this, and I highly recommend you do, run out and buy the magazine.  Matt and I put some on our pancakes yesterday and it was delish!


The next recipe I tried was Nectarine and Vanilla Bean Jam.

The process was much the same but this one required processing in a water bath or steam canner for 5 minutes.

And here they are.  I got a little fancy and topped them with some spare cupcake wrappers I had hanging around.  Aren't they cute??  This jam is delicious as well.  In fact, out of the two I would say it's my favorite.
There are so many more recipes in the magazine I'm dying to try.  Our local farm is having pick-your-own blueberries this month.  Hmmm, I think I see some Blueberry-Cinnamon freezer jam in my future.

I've also been working on my mantle, lately.  Sorry, I don't have a before photo but trust me, it was pretty boring.  When I found this wall clock at Home Goods the other day and I new it was just what I needed.  I then framed up some pages from an old map calendar I saved, gathered a few other goodies from around the house and voila!  What do you think?



And of course, I'm working on a new quilt.  This one is for Kade's wedding.  Yep, he popped the question and she said yes! Yay!  We are so excited to be adding another wonderful daughter-in-law to our family.
So it's been a very happy, homey couple of weeks around the ol' Burnham homestead.
Nothing makes me feel more content than tending feathering my little nest.
Things are good right now.
I feel very blessed.
I read an article the other day that really inspired me.  I thought you might like it too.