Friday, October 26, 2012

Keeping myself busy


I've had a ton of creative energy lately.  I think it comes from being the mother of the groom.  It's hard to have such a minimal role in such a big event in the life of my son.  I've been able to help a bit.  I've got the Groom's Dinner planned.  Groom's dinner is what I'm calling the dinner we are hosting the night before the wedding.  Traditionally it's called the rehearsal dinner, but since there is nothing to rehearse for a temple wedding, I find it ridiculous to call it that.
Anyway, whatever we call it.  It's planned and I am happy with it.  But I find I still need to do something to honor the occasion.  So of course, I went to my trusty fabric stash and began to pull fabric for a new quilt.
Yellow, orange, gray and brown are the colors Kade and Minda have chosen for their wedding. So, to honor them I pulled together some of my very best fabrics in those colors.  I fell in love with
this pattern the moment I saw it. I felt it would look wonderful in my chosen colors.


Here are my first two blocks.  Swoon is the perfect name for this pattern because that is what I do over each finished block.  I. Love. them!  I love the how patterns and colors work together.  The blocks are modern, structured, casual yet elegant.  The exact adjectives for the wedding I would design for Kade, if I had any say in the matter whatsoever.  Kade wanted a J. Crew wedding.  These are the J. Crew of quilt blocks.
At 24" x24", the blocks are massive.  Each one takes me about an hour to put together.  However, the stunning results are well worth the effort.
I haven't had a lot of time lately, and it's killing me that I can only finish about one block a day. I can't wait to get the other seven blocks together.  I know they will look just as fabulous.  Once it's all put together, I know this quilt will be a fitting way for me to mark this occasion.
I'll be sure and post more blocks as I get them put together.


Of course, if you know me at all by now, you know I never work on just one project at a time.  Here is a baby quilt I am finishing up for no one in particular.  I made it from a charm packet (5x5 squares from an entire fabric line) I have had hanging around for some time.  The fabric is Sherbet Pips by Aneela Hooey.  It's an older print but I think you can still get on line.


Here are two of my favorite squares.  Don't you just love the 'lil doggy.  The only thing that could make him more cute is if he was a boxer.

I also recently saw this little beauty on Pinterest.  It caught my eye because I inherited a bunch of vintage sewing supplies from Aunt Twila after she passed.  Among them was a box of old thread on wooden spools.  I didn't want to get rid of them, but I didn't really know what to do with them all.  For the last year, they have been sitting in an old jar on shelf in my sewing room.  When I saw this, I knew.

Here is my version.  Isn't it cool?

A perfect addition to my sewing room wall.