Thursday, January 3, 2013

One Degree

That was the high temperature for yesterday and today.  Tonight, as I write this, it is already eight below.  It's so cold, it stings my lungs to breathe.
Before we left SoCal, I mentally prepared myself for the change from our perfect Camarillo climate to the freezing Logan winter, but can you ever really prepare yourself for such a change?  I'm already jones-ing for my beloved ocean breezes.
However, in the spirit of keeping a positive attitude, here are some of the good things that are happening:

This is me enjoying my new aerobic workout.  Shoveling snow is a great cardio workout.

All the bending and squatting is great for the quads and glutes...

and lifting the shovel to toss the snow is great for your core and upper body.

Shoveling Mom's driveway and patio is quite a workout.  I have found a great gym though.  I'm loving the Sports Academy and Racquet Club in town.  Truly, it is better than any gym we have belonged to.

The price of gas here certainly cheers me up.  I can't remember the last time I paid under $3.00 for a gallon of gas.  Take that California!

Spending copious amounts of time with the cutest grandson on the planet, is a big plus.


He just loves to play with my glasses.  I think it has something to do with the silver fob.

Oh yeah, and then there is this little baby. We arrived in Utah with a plan to rent for at least a year before we invested in a house.  However, when we saw the dismal condition of the available rental properties and the reasonable prices of what was for sale, we decided to go for it.  Here is the house we made an offer on last Saturday.  Th sellers accepted on Sunday and we are now knee deep in paperwork hoping to close in a month.  Yay!
In California, a house this size would have gone for no less than $750,000.  We got it for (ahem) SIGNIFICANTLY less.  Around 2/3rd less to be exact.  Yes, that definitely takes the sting out of a dealing with the cold weather.
Bazinga, California!

Of course, there are some things about the Sunshine State I will always treasure.  Mostly, the people.  Which brings me to this.  While Matt was commuting, the Garrett family adopted me.  They made sure to sit with me at church. The kids randomly dropped by with treats. Tyler gave me priesthood blessings when I needed them. Becky (my sister from another mother) texted me every morning just to make sure I was still alive!  Thinking about that still makes me giggle.  I will never forget their kindness and generosity.
For Christmas, to show how very much I love and appreciate them, I wanted to make something special for each child.  For Will (pictured above), I made a super-hero basket complete with mask, cape and tons of treats to empower any growing superhero.  The joy on his face when he opened that package was priceless.  It is something I will always hold in my heart.

The cape was easy and fun to make.  It took me less than an hour from start to finish.

If you want to make one for the little superhero in your life, you can order it here
I found the labels for all the treats on this amazing blog.

I miss you, Garrett Family!