Thursday, February 21, 2013

Moving in, moving on


After many days of inversion, move in day dawned crystal clear.  The sun was a sight for sore eyes, but one thing I've learned is that in the winter here in Logan, a clear, sunny day means cold, cold temperatures.

Our movers Tony, Bob and Mo showed up bright and early.

I told them the house was freshly painted and they promised to be extra careful, hence they laid blankets and drop cloths everywhere.

Then, the unloading began in earnest.  Man, was I glad to see my old stuff!  I hadn't realized how much I missed being surrounded by my own belongings until I saw the boxes.

If you've never had the pleasure of being moved by a moving company, someone has to check off each numbered piece as it enters the premises.  That was my job.

Of course, what I failed to realize until we were under way is just how cold it was!  The high temp that day was only 19 degrees and with the movers coming in and out, all the doors were wide open for the entire day. They were there from 9:00 a.m until 4:00 p.m.  I bundled up as much as possible but I was sure I would never be warm again.


You want to know the best part of using a moving company?  The loading crew is responsible to reassemble all the large pieces of furniture.  So, even though they left us with boxes everywhere, at least we could sleep in our beautiful, king-size bed that night.  Believe me, after dodging elbows and tugging covers in my mother's hard, full-size guest bed, it was the best night's sleep we had in 6 weeks.  Climbing in that night, I was almost overcome with a fit of weeping.

A couple of days later, the whole family arrived to celebrate and to help unpack. However, it wasn't all work, work, work.  We did find time to have a little fun.

When we decided to make the move, one thing I worried about was that we wouldn't be able to stay active during the 6 months of cold weather.  Skiing is not an option of either one of us.  Matt because of his bad knee and me because of my general dislike of breaking my bones.  So, Damen and Christy promised to introduce us to the art of snow shoeing.  


We put on our gear (all purchased from Gear: 30), loaded up Mason and we were off for an adventure.


It was so much fun!


For the most part, we stayed on groomed trails, but after a while I decided to be brave and forge my own trail.  


Matt and Mason got adventurous as well.  

Try though I might, I cannot get Damen to take a serious picture.  


Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  


Of course, we had to stop for some smooch time with The Boy.  

Hey Mason, what does a Gorilla say?  Ooo, ooo, ooo. 

A big thanks to our lovely guide, Katherine.  When Damen married Christy, we were lucky enough to inherit her amazing sisters as well.  I got three wonderful daughters for the price of one.  

If we have to live in snowy country, we are certainly going to make the most of it.  I definitely see us snow shoeing frequently.  It was great fun and a great work out.  

So from the white slopes of Cache Valley, 'bye for now.