Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Up And Running

Moving in to any house requires prioritizing which rooms must be done first and which rooms can wait.  Our priority was kitchen, master bed/bath, office, living/family rooms, guest rooms, library and of course, dead last was my sewing room.


That meant that my work space stayed in this condition for the first three weeks we were in the house.


The mess even spilled into other areas as well.  The new pool table and an adjacent hallway were piled high, much to my family's dismay.

It took me a month, but last week I finally put on the finishing touches.


It's definitely bigger than my last room.  The only downside is that it has no windows of its own, so no natural light to work with.  


But, my storage closet is phenomenal!  I'm able to keep everything so organized.  I love to be organized. 

After three months without sewing, I couldn't wait to get back in the groove and sew a few blocks.

I whipped these up in a couple of hours.  Do you like my design wall?  My last room was so small I had to put it behind the door which meant I hardly ever used it.  Here it's out in the open and so much more convenient to work with.  In fact, I have so much wall space, I think I'm going to make the design wall bigger, at least twice as big.

Of course, I didn't get to work on the blocks too long because I got a call from the Relief Society asking me to sew these cute mini aprons to be used as favors for our R.S. Birthday dinner.  They were fun to make and pretty easy.  If you're interested, I can post a tutorial next week.  


Speaking of Relief Society, ours has a quilt group that meets every week.  Two weeks ago, we all went on a little shop hop.  It was great fun and I now know every good shop between here and Salt Lake.  Here is my haul.  The first grouping is fabric I'm putting together for a master bedroom quilt.  
The second set is for someone special who hasn't announced yet that she's expecting.  Tee hee hee.
She isn't far enough along yet to find out the sex, but I loved these fabrics so much I decided to take a chance it would be a girl.  If it isn't, I'm sure I can find another lucky little girly to give it to.

Of course, my next project has got to be getting this baby quilted.  This one has me a bit intimidated.  It's such a fabulous design, I feel the quilting has to be very special.  However, I can't seem to come up with anything.  I've been checking the web for designs but everything I see is pretty scary.  I guess I'm just going to have to screw up some courage and jump in.  
Wish me luck!