Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A bit of Spring

   
 After a long, gray winter, I have lately been in the mood for some spring color.  So, when I rediscovered this quilt top in my UFO closet, I knew it was just the ticket.  It feels good to have it done.  I'm ashamed to say, it has been waiting to be quilted since I made it back in January 2012!  

  

For the center, I decided to echo the floral theme of the fabric and I quilted an overall flower design.

In the small border, I wanted to capture the circular movement of the bicycle wheels so I did a swirly, little thing-a-ma-jiggy.

To challenge myself, I wanted to do something I had never tried before on the large border.  I found a continuous heart/flower design that seemed like it wouldn't be too hard yet still test my skills, so I decided to go for it.

It was time consuming in that I had to resize the original design, figure out the spacing needed between each block, trace the design enough times to fit around the quilt, and then pin each traced pattern on to the quilt.

Once that was done, I quilted over the tracing paper and then tore the paper off to reveal the design.

That part left quite a mess.


But I think it turned out great, so all the trouble was worth the effort.

You can see the quilting better from the back side.


Here is the rest of the back.

I thought this quilt had found it's owner, but after careful consideration I thought better of it.  So, this one goes back in the closet until I find just the right person for it.  Who knows, maybe I will sell it.  Does anyone out there want to buy a fun, spring quilt?