Friday, April 12, 2013

I guess you can't please everyone

   
The other night I was checking out Pinterest and came across one of my own quilts pinned to someone else's board.  I was feeling pretty good about this until I noticed the first comment.   Whhhaaaattt?!  In what universe are posts about my quilts and family exploits hateful?? The second comment made me feel a bit better, but I have to admit I'm sad that anyone thinks my blog is hateful.  
I just don't know 'bout some people and I guess I can't worry about a random woman who got offended by who knows what.  So without further ado and at the risk of further offending Ms. Weiler...

This is my latest finish.  Lately, I've been on a mission to get all my UFOs (unfinished objects) completed.  It really is silly of me to start new projects when I have several hanging in my sewing room waiting to be quilted.
I put these blocks together back in September but wasn't able to finish before the move. So, when I found them during the unpacking, I determined they would be one of the first things I worked on.

Since this is a quilt I am going to keep, I decided practice some free-motion techniques.

For the large border, I tried a new paisley quilting technique from Angela Walters Book. I had a few problems with it, but on the whole it doesn't look too bad.  I'm going to have to put in a few more hours of practice to get it to look as good as the example in the book.

I have quilter friends who don't care too much about the backs of their quilts.  They will back a quilt with whatever fabric they happen to have enough of, whether or not it ties in with the front.  To me, quilt backs are just as important as the front, so I usually piece my backs with left over fabrics from the front or at least a fabric that fits with the front.

This cute "School Days" fabric from American Jane fit very well with the Alphabet theme of the front. It's an older fabric I had hanging around in my stash so I'm not sure you can find it any more, but you might still be able to find it online.

And, I love the way the quilting stands out on it.

Conference last weekend was amazing.  There were too many fantastic talks to choose one as a favorite but here are some that really touched my heart:

Jeffrey R. Holland

Dallin H. Oaks

Christoffel Golden Jr.

Bruce D. Porter

The one that most impressed me is one I have embedded in the sidebar.  These are just a few of the many talks I will be studying for the next 6 months.  I love conference. I am blessed to hear from such wise and loving leaders.  I love this church and I love the gospel.
If that offends you Ms. Weiler, so be it.