Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Scoop

A lot has been going on lately and I just have not had time, until now, to sit down and blog about it all.

To start with, Mason bwoke is 'lil leg!

He took a small tumble off a jungle gym and fractured his tibia. It was pretty traumatic for everyone involved.  A little good did come of it when Damen and Christy called to say they needed help managing with Mason in his cast. They came to stay with us for about 5 days. It was great to spend some time with them and help where we could.
 

  
We watched hours and hours of Thomas, or as Mason calls him, "Choo". We all went to the park and to the zoo.


We perfected our meager billiard skills.  Even Mason got in on that action.

Although he got cranky a couple of times, after all lugging a cast around is no fun even for an adult, he really did quite well.  Kids really are very resilient.
Just look at that face!  Don't you just want to eat it up?

Here he is in his new walking cast.  He is much happier now that he can get around on his own again.

Speaking of billiards, check out our newest home improvement.
The previous homeowners didn't want to move their pool table, so they left it behind for us.   We were excited to get it but hated the ugly, worn out navy felt. We've since been on a mission to get it recovered.  I say mission because it's not like there is any place here in the small town of Logan that could handle the job.
We ended up calling the local pool hall to find out who does the work for them.  They pointed us to a little specialty shop in Salt Lake that came right to our house.



In one afternoon they transformed it from this...


to this...
Nice update, huh?  It's amazing how great the grey wool looks.  In fact, both of the boys have puts dibs on  the table after we pass to the great beyond.  I'm not sure how they're going to settle it, but I think I heard them say that after the paying their final respects, they would play for it.  :)

Earlier this month I gave myself a great treat when I attended Women's Conference with my best friend/sister from another mother, Jodi.  See that beautiful face?  That is the face of one of the most wonderful woman I know.  She is wise, funny and just a little quirky.  We laugh like a couple of mad women every time we get together.  And, every get together is an adventure whether we intend it or not.  One of the many blessings of moving back to Utah, is I get to spend as much time with her as I want.  
I've always wanted to attend Women's Conference and it did not disappoint!  Every class was uplifting and edifying.  Coming back to the BYU campus after an absence of 30 years was inspiring.  I loved it when I was there, but I know now I was too young to really appreciate what a privilege it really was. 

I know this is a terrible picture but this is President Henry B. Erying giving the address at our closing session.  To be in the presence of such a spiritual giant was awe inspiring.
Because of traffic, he arrived 20 minutes late.  We spent that 20 minutes singing hymns.  It was incredibly moving to raise my voice in praise with about 20,000 other women of God.  I have to admit that I choked up more than once.  


And of course, in between all my various escapades, there is always copious amounts of quilting.  This scrappy little number is one I've been working on for a while now.  The top has been in my UFO closet since before we moved.  It's given me a good palette on which to practice the paisley pattern I learned.  I'm doing the smaller squares with a dogwood pattern found here.
I'm thinking this quilty-poo will soon be in the possession of one previously mentioned best friend/S.F.A.M.  Shhhh!  Don't you tell now. 


This is a quilt top I'm  putting together for the realtor who helped us buy our house.  During the process, she found out I was a quilter and asked me to help her with some quilt squares she inherited from her grandmother.  She wants to give the quilt to her daughter as a present.  Of course, I'm more than happy to help.  
The squares are a bit traditional and her daughter is a thoroughly modern girl, so we decided to punch it up with some lime green. I think it works quite well.  

As I was buying the lime green border fabric, I saw this little sign.
Yep, I'd say that purdy much sums it up.