Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fun and games



It's finished!  I started this quilt back in November but with the move and all, I have only just gotten it finished.
Actually, I'm making an excuse. I basted/pinned this quilt before we had even packed.  I could have finished it weeks ago if I had wanted.  Truthfully, I've simply been terrified.
You see, I love the colors and design of this quilt so much, I've been afraid to start quilting it for fear I would ruin it. I thought such a special quilt top required mind blowing free motion work.  Work that is far above my skill level.  So, I just kept stalling.   Finally, Kade asked me when I was going to get to it and I admitted to him I was afraid.  He gave me some good advice and told me I was over-thinking it. He told me to just do what I know and it would look wonderful.

So, I went with a simple meander stitch and, what do you know?  He was right.  It does look good.  I'm very happy.

I think the back is pretty amazing as well.  

Of course, this is the real reason Kade wanted me to get it finished.  Yep, he's always been my blanket baby.

In other news, my little quilt group and I had quite an adventure this week as we participated in the Wasatch Front Shop Hop.  We visited 13 quilt shops in one day starting down in Springville and ending up back here in Logan.  The theme was board games and anyone who really knows me knows that theme is right up my alley. 
Some of the shops did more than others.  Here are my favorites:


Corn Wagon Quilt Shop in Springville.  Their game was Monopoly.  They had a giant game board on the floor and even a jailer sentencing unsuspecting shoppers to the hoscow until they had added some stitches to their charity quilt.  Fun!

Quilts, Etc in Sandy had Where's Waldo. After finding all the Waldo's hidden around the shop, you got to go eat at the pizzeria they had set up in the back of the shop.  Yum!



Pine Needles in Gardner's Village was decked out for Twister.  Right foot blue, left hand green!



Elaine's quilt shop in Highland truly did justice to my favorite modern games, Ticket to Ride. Check out the ticket quilt in the background.


 And, Quilter's Haven in Bountiful tickled me with their send up of my very favorite vintage game, Mystery Date.  Every 15 minutes shoppers had to stand on a numbered square and if their number was called they got to open the door and pick a mystery prize.  Just like in the game, it was a gamble whether or not you got a good prize or a dud. So, cute!


My Girlfriend's Quilt Shoppe in Logan did a delightful job with Candyland.  They even had Queen Frostine inside giving away sweet treats made from fat quarters.

It was a fun day, well worth the 12 hours of driving from shop to shop and back home again.
'Bye for now.

P.S.  Here's a peek at what I'm working on now.