Sunday, June 30, 2013

It's hot!

During the 8 years previous to moving here, we lived in Maui and Camarillo, California. Places where the temperature swing was about 10-15 degrees one way or another.  I have to admit, I had become a bit of a weather brat...quite spoiled.
Last winter in Smithfield the low for the season was minus 20 degrees.

Two months ago, this was the weather as I was driving home.
Today the high hit 100.  That is a 120 degree swing folks! How's that for an adjustment?

One good thing about the record heat is that I've been spending a lot of time indoors.  As a result, I've gotten quite a bit done.  I'm excited to finish quilting Lisa's quilt.  It's my first "commissioned" quilt and I wanted it to be perfect.


I attempted to quilt it in a way that would compliment the beautiful embroidery work. It's more subtle on the front.



You can see it a little better from the back, although the plaid disguises it a bit.  If you click on the photos, you can better see it close up.  

I've also started canning again.  Just simple things to start with, a bit of pickling and some fruit vinegars, but I'm really enjoying it.  

I've also started a new page here on the blog.  You can see the new tab at the top of this page.  

One of my favorite things to do is to study the scriptures.  I try to study and write in my scripture journals for at least a half hour every day.  Lately, I've been studying the different names and titles of Jesus Christ.  This has been such an enriching experience for me, I decided I wanted to share it.  Every week or so, I will update the page with a new name/title and what I found.  I hope it inspires you to do your own study.
FYI, I found a study journal here

Well, I hope you can all keep cool during this heat wave and if I don't talk to you before then...
Have a great 4th of July!