Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Signs of summer


We decided to spend the Memorial Day Weekend on a family camping trip.  Now, I can't remember the last time I actually went camping but hey, I'm game.

Sleeping in the tent was actually quite comfy.




Even though it dropped down into the upper 30's at night, the gear Damen equipped us with kept us warm and toasty.  As you can see, I was all smiles in my mummy bag.


We feasted on breakfast burritos in the morning and burgers and brats for dinner.

Of course, the icing on the cake was hanging out with Mason again.  He got his cast off just in time for the trip. Yay!

The only downside of the entire trip was the nasty latrine.  Let's just say I held it...alot.  

It was a great weekend.  I loved it.  The dandelions were blooming all around the campground.  I usually blow on them and send my wishes out into the universe. 

 But, I guess I don't really need to to that any more.  All my wishes were granted 5 months ago.

On the homemaking front, I got some fun gifts for Mother's Day. 
First, I got a Nutrimill Grain Mill.  
Since I started eating clean, whole grains have become a huge factor in my daily diet.  With the mill, I can grind my own.  The nutritional value of fresh ground flour is so much better than what you purchase from the grocery store.  

I was able to grind this whole wheat...



into this finely ground, pastry grade flour in less than 3 minutes! 

Then, I put the fresh flour into gift #2, my new Bosch mixer!  

I made these delicious currant/cinnamon loaves and rolls in under an hour.  Yummy!  Yep, I'm pretty sure I'll never buy store bought flour or bread again.
If you want the bread recipe just let me know and I will post it. 


And finally, I finished Jodi's quilt.  

The dogwood quilting turned out great. I'm very happy with it.



The back makes me happy, too.  

I pieced the binding to match the fabric in the quilt.  I hope she likes it.  


So, on to the next.  Here's a peak at what I'm quilting now.  This baby has been pinned since November.  I should have it done by the end of the week.  Stay tuned for the big reveal!