Monday, July 29, 2013

God be with you 'til we meet again

In friendship we think we have chosen our peers.  In reality a few years difference in the dates of our births, a few more miles between certain houses, the choice of one university over another, the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at a first meeting-any of these chances might have kept us apart.
But for the Christian there are strictly speaking no chances.  A secret master of ceremonies has been at work.  Christ, who said to his disciples, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you" can truly say to every group of Christian friends, "Ye have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another.
Friendship is not a reward for our discriminating and good taste in finding one another out.  It is the instrument by which God reveals to each of us the beauties of others.
                                                                                                                                            C.S. Lewis-The Four Loves
Last week, a dear friend of mine lost her battle with cancer and with her passing the world lost a truly beautiful soul.
Jan was a vibrant woman of substance.  She had uncommon wisdom.  I valued her thoughts and opinions.  She was, to me, a mother/sister/mentor/friend.  I don't know if she ever knew how very important she was to me.  After my first meeting with her (a meeting that should have only lasted about 30 minutes but ended up lasting for three hours as we chatted and laughed the afternoon away) I went home and told my husband that I wanted to be like her when I grew up.

She was and will continue to be my role model for aging with dignity, grace and style.  In fact, as I was looking at the 1999 picture of us together, it struck me how much I have unconsciously adopted a similar look as I have aged.  Do you see it or is it just my imagination?

Our life paths had led us apart and since moving I hadn't had as much contact with her as I would have liked but it was comforting to think of her back in Texas "doin' her thang".  I will miss her.
I believe that Heavenly Father puts certain people in our paths to teach and bless us and I know without any doubt that he placed Jan in my life for those and many other reasons.  I don't flatter myself that I had near the effect on her that she had on me, but I hope that in some small way I blessed her life in the years we were close.
Whatever the case, I will be forever grateful that our paths crossed in this mortal life.  I will never forget her.

I added a new entry to my Names of Christ page.