Thursday, July 11, 2013

The 4th, some sewing and a tutorial


 
There is nothing like a small town 4th of July. I love everything about it.  The parades filled with local kids riding their decorated their bikes.  The rinky-dink carnivals set up in mall parking lots. Somehow, everything just seems more homey.  Big cities try, but they just can't capture the feeling.



This year we packed up the family, took our blankets, lawn chairs, sparklers  and headed to the local high school for the fireworks show.  It was so much fun!  Truly, I LOVE fireworks! I cannot get enough of them.  Here in Utah we're allowed to shoot them off on the 24th of July (Pioneer Day) as well.  I'm counting down the days!



Here is my latest finish, for no one special.  It's just another of my UFO's from the closet. It's  a simple design with simple meander quilting.  It's nice to have some quilts hanging around in case I need to give a gift. This will make a great gift for a baby boy.


My next quilt is a commission for an old friend's daughter.  I had to order the fabric online so while I was waiting for it to arrive, I decided to work on some easy, fun little projects.
About a year ago, I found this fun selvedge print on Spoonflower.  I snapped up a couple of yards even though I had no idea what I would do with it.
Lately, I've been seeing embroidery hoop wall art all over the internet and Pinterest so I thought I'd give it a try.  What do you think??

Next, I've had this cute apron pattern  sitting on a shelf for quite a while now, so I decided it was time to "get 'er dun".

Here it is.  This pattern was fast and easy!  I finished the whole thing from cut out to the last stitch in less than two hours.
It's reversible, so here's the back.  I'm definitely going to make more of these.  They will be great for gifts.


I did a little shopping and look what I found!  Cloud 9 Fabrics, one of my favorite lines of designer fabrics, has released a new line exclusively for Jo-Ann's.  It used to be that this type of fabric was only available through specialty quilt shops but I'm so glad to see them coming to a big box store!  Between Denyse Schmidt's line (DS Quilts) and now this,  Jo-Anne's is one of my go-to fabric shops.

And finally, the tutorial.  About three years ago I bought these cheap, boring barstools at Target with the idea in mind to recover them.  Can you believe I'm just now getting around to it??

So, I decided on this lovely Chevron canvas.

The first order of business was to remove the ugly tan fabric which required taking out all the staples from the back side.

Believe me when I say this was not for the faint of heart.  It took me over an hour for one stool and nearly ruined my manicure!  But with a flat head screwdriver, some needle nose pliers and a LOT of elbow grease, I prevailed.  Take that rusted, nasty upholstery staples!



Once the fabric was off, I used it for a guide to cut the chevron.



After that, it was just a matter of tugging and stapling until the fabric was smooth.  Once that was done, I re-stapled the old black backing on and...


Voila!  Lovely, updated bar stools for under $10.  Me likey!

And Bethany, your fabric just came.  Your up next!  But, it will have to wait until Monday.  I've got Mason this weekend.  Yippee!

Just FYI, I've added another entry to my Names of Christ page.

Have a great weekend.  I know I will!