Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Hip Houndstooth

When Bethany commissioned me to make a quilt for her daughter, Rachel, she described her as a mod, funky girl who loves yellow and gray.
I think this quilt is a pretty good interpretation of that description.
Last year I made a baby version of this quit, so the idea for the pattern came immediately to mind.  The throw size version still wasn't quite large enough, plus Rachel asked me work the polka-dot fabric into the quilt front, so I decided to add on a small and a large border.

It took a couple of months to search out the right fabric. Rachel felt that a straight solid fabric might be too boring, so she asked me to find a yellow print that would read as a solid.  When I spotted the Gray Matters fabric line by Jacqueline Savage McFee I knew it was perfect.  


I experimented with a couple of fun, swirly free-motion designs.  I really like how they turned out.  I will most definitely be using them again.  

With paisley and polka-dots panels, even the back is mod and funky.  

All packaged and ready to go.  I hope she likes it.  

And, just to make you smile, here is the view from my front door from the other evening.  The token of God's love and covenant (Gen 9: 10-17).  Beautiful.