Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Stash Busting

Quilt making generates a massive amount of scraps.  The question is always what to do with them?  For most quilters, it's a dilemma to decide when a  scrap is so small as to avoid causing guilt feelings if thrown away.  As for me, it has to be a pretty small (think microscopic) scrap for my "I know I'll be able to use this later" gene not to kick in.  It's a sickness, I know.  



Maddie's quilt left me with a bunch of little triangles that I just couldn't toss.  I decided to turn them into half-square triangles and see what I could do with them.



Using only fabric from my stash and the triangle squares, I came up with these two baby quilts.
Cute, huh?  I love them! To give proper credit, the top quilt was inspired by this Thimbleblossoms pattern.  The bottom one is my own creation.

I'm calling them my fraternal twins; made from the same fabric DNA but not identical.

That little bit of stash busting got me fired up so I pulled out some of my neutrals and decided I'd try to use it to create a nice tablescape for Thanksgiving.

Here's what I came up with.

I whipped up these reversible placemats...

and a couple of runners.  I've had this script fabric for a couple of years. I love it but I've never found the right project for it.

Years ago, I inherited these blue & white dishes from Aunt Twila. I think they look lovely set against all the neutral colors.

My finishing touch is this natural fiber turkey center piece I saw at World Market (one of my favorite stores) and just had to have.
So, what d'ya think?

Have a great holiday! Gobble, gobble!