Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Good memories, bad photos

Beware, this will be a photo heavy post and most of them will be bad.  I was visiting friends and family in Salt Lake last week but forgot my camera.  I know some people who can take professional quality photos with their phone, sadly I am not one of them.
Here is the quilt I finished for Mason's new room.


These closeups are a little better quality.  You can get a look at some of the fun, colorful fabrics.

I quilted a simple meander stitch with some twirly, swirlies ( yes, I love Elf) mixed in for a bit of interest.

This little cutie was quite happy with it.  He just had to get in at least one of the pictures.


Then he HAD to take a few shots of grandma.  Not a bad job I'd say.  I mean, they aren't any more blurry than the ones I took.
It was a great visit.  Unfortunately, both the little ones were sick and while I thought I was careful not to pick up any stray germs, I came down with it as soon as I got home.



On the bright side, staying home with a cold has given me plenty of time to quilt.  I've had this quilt top in my UFO closet for a few months now.  I used this pattern.  I am happy with how it turned out, but I have to admit, I will probably never make it again.  To put it kindly, appliqué is just not my scene.  I hated it!  I only finished it because I didn't want to waste the fabric.

Here is a blurry shot of the back.


I found the brown print at JoAnn's and loved it at first sight.  The pattern reminds me of dandelions, which I think compliment the front quite nicely.

I've also been working on The Twins.  Small scrap projects like these give me an opportunity to practice unfamiliar quilting techniques without too much worry.  If I goof it up, oh well.  No harm, no foul.    

 More twirly, swirlies :)  They make me happy.

I used this one as an exercise in feathering.  Not too bad, if I do say so myself.

 For the insets, I tried a peacock feather motif.  I wasn't sure I would like it, but I do.

Then, some simple flowers for the border.
After a quick run to Insta-care, I will be binding this one while I spend the remainder of the day resting.
Cough, cough, sniffle sniffle, sneeze.