Monday, June 30, 2014

These are my people

June is a month of events for our family.  Matt and I were married on the 20th.  Damen and Christy on the 21st and Mason was born on the 17th.  So, it is our family tradition to take some sort of family vacation to celebrate.  This year we decided to go camping to Bryce Canyon.  It was a great experience.


Since Damen owns an outdoor store, he had the Taj Mahal of tents.  We used the open end as our base camp/game room. They used the other end for sleeping.

Here is one of the  sleeping tents for the rest of us.  They were smaller but very comfy-cozy.

I gave the new camping quilt a test run.

It was so cozy and got well broken in, but more on that later.
Mason loved the fire pit.  In this picture, he is "toasting" marshmallows.  Toasting is a gentle word for "burning to a crisp."  What you can't tell from this picture is that as he burns the mallow, he is channeling it's spirit and saying in a tiny, little voice, "Oh no, don't burn me! Don't burn me!" It was a crack-up.

He also loved playing along with Uncle Kade on his new birthday guitar.  
We planned to stay for the entire weekend but had to leave early when both the babies got sick.  There were a couple of blow outs on the camping quilt, (as I said, well. broken. in.) and then the vomiting began in earnest.  For Damen and Christy, it was a long car trip home with several stops to clean up barfy clothes and carseats but eventually, the kids fell asleep until they got home. 

Before the sickness descended, we spent one really good day hiking into the canyon.  I have to admit that we didn't really do our research on the difficulty of the hike.  What this sign neglected to inform us is that Sunset Point is a 2.6 mile hike straight up!




Just look at our happy, unsuspecting faces before we embarked on our journey.


This is how we all felt at about the half way mark.

But, we marched onward and upward...


and saw some truly, amazing sights along the way.  



We were tired but happy when we finally reached the top.  

Maybe it was exhaustion induced delirium, but as I was hiking it occurred to me that our hike was a great symbol for our life's journey.

The road of life can seem pretty steep and rocky with many twists and turns.  But, we don't walk it alone.  


God gives us a group of people who walk that road with us.  When we're tired, they help us along.  They hold our hands.  They walk beside us. 


And somehow, while we may be road worn and dusty... 

We reach the top together.  

These are my people and I thank God for them every day.  

Here's what's on my design wall.  Although it almost drove me batty, I finally finished all 418 squares (see my last post). I think it looks pretty great.  Now that it's all assembled, I guess the tedium was worth it.  
I'll be sewing the blocks together and hope to have the top finished by the end of the week.