Thursday, July 10, 2014

The 4th



 
The great State of Utah has seriously loosened their restrictions on fireworks. These lovelies are not part of a sponsored show.  No, they are what the neighbor was shooting off in his backyard.

Here is one of our own and we didn't even have to make a run to Wyoming to get them.  NOT that we have ever done that!
Anyway, this year our fireworks were quite spectacular.

This was Mason's favorite.



I mean, how could you not love a crazy, exploding frog head?

And, of course, sparklers.  I wonder if in his little mind he is thinking, "oh no, don't burn me!  Don't burn me!"


This little princess is a girl after my own heart.

Gramma loves her some glow jewelry!
I know it's not a great picture, but Mason (our budding photographer) shot it so of course I had to use it.

Actually, we did our family fireworks on the 5th because Matt and I spent the 4th elsewhere.

We spent the 4th with Jodi and her fam.  Here we are looking' all cute and "flaggy".  (No, we didn't plan it but we might have if we had thought of it.  We're just that corny.)

Anyway...Paris, Idaho a little town over by Bear Lake.  It's usually a pretty sleepy little place, but on the 4th it turns into quite a slice of Americana.  Jodi invited us up to share the experience.
The day started at the Tabernacle with a patriotic commemoration.  Even with the out of tune bugle solos and screeching sopranos, the program was still managed to move me.  When they recognized all those who had or were serving in the military, it kind of choked me up.

Here is the kindergarten class singing, "This Land Is Your Land."  The cuteness meter was off the charts.
The only awkward moment for me was when the local Pavaroti wanna-be broke into a version of this song.  It was just toooo sappy.
With lines like:

NOW I’M CHALLENGED BY TYRANTS
WHO ENVY MY POWER
BUT THEIR VICIOUS DEEDS
BECOME MY FINEST HOUR
and
I’M AMERICA DON’T TREAD ON ME
I’M AMERICA YES AMERICA IS MY NAME
I'm sorry I couldn't help it,  I giggled.  In fact, I had to put my hand over my mouth and look at my lap the entire time just to keep myself from laughing out loud. I don't know, maybe I'm jaded.  As corny as I am, it was just too over the top for me.

What amazed me about it all was how the ENTIRE town showed up in support.  Yeah, that would have never happen in Southern California where showing patriotism is right up there with practicing Satanism.  Actually, Satanism might be more widely accepted in the name of "tolerance." (J/K to all my California friends.)

Next, it was on to the parade in all it's papier-mached yumminess.

We saw your typical cheer groups and local companies advertising with their floats.

Then along came this guy who was apparently advertising his position in the church.  Huh, waaa?

Jodi's son and nephew even got in on the act, throwing candy into the crowd on their four-wheeler.

I think this sentiment pretty much summed up the day.  Not only that, they wear police badges, and fire helmets as well.  Take that, Superman, Batman, Ironman, Etc.
It was a great day in middle America.  I think this might have been the first 4th of July in which I spent the day celebrating what it the day is really about.  I hope we can do it again next year.

I'm slowly making progress on my Sparkle-Punch Christmas quilt.  Right now I'm sewing all the
3 1/2 inch blocks together to make 20 larger blocks which I will sew together to make the quilt top.

This is the first quilt I've made that has required such extensive use of my design wall.  There is no way I could keep track where each piece belonged without it.
As far as the flood clean up, it has turned into a much bigger job.  We decided to take out an un-needed closet thus giving me a much less awkward space to work in.  We start the demo tonight.
Of course, there will be pictures.