Saturday, October 11, 2014

Conference Weekend

The first weekend in October and April are my favorites of the year.
First of all they give me two days in which to take a break from the world to focus on important eternal truths.  Second, I get to go to church in my pajamas!

This time, Damen, Christy and the kids came up for the weekend so the whole family watched together.  Well, let me clarify and say that we all took turns watching some of it while we looked after the babies.  Conference is not all that toddler friendly.  Two hours is a long time to have to sit still.

Luckily, all the sessions are posted online so what I didn't get to watch the first time, I have been catching up on this week.

All of the messages are wonderful and instructive, but as always a few especially touched my heart.  If you want some true inspiration, click on the links below





As always, I have put a video of my favorite message in my sidebar and it will stay there until the next conference.  If you don't have time to listen to any other the other messages, please take the time to watch that one.  It is wonderful.

During the intermission between the two Saturday sessions, Mason and I put on a little show for the family.  I just have to share it with you.


Oh my gosh, I have so much fun with that boy!

This quilt has been in my unfinished projects closet since 2010 and finally finished it this week.  It's such a relief to finally have it done and now that it is I can't believe it took me so long.  I love it!

Here is the back.  Sorry about the bad pictures.  I just don't have a great lay out space.



I love the red/neutral palette.  I made the center blocks from some embroidery work I did ages ago before I even started quilting.  I think we were still living in Texas at the time.  After I got it done, I didn't know what to do with it.  It stayed in my hope chest for years.  I rediscovered the piece one day while cleaning out the chest and decided it would make great centers for quilts blocks.

I debated with myself as to how to finish the binding.  At first, I was going to go with red binding to tie in with the rest of the quilt but I finally decided on this green stripe fabric to add a bit of contrast.  I'm happy with it.

This is one of the few quilts I have completely improvised.  I like the modern, wonky look.  I got it done just in time to go on the end of our guest room bed for this Christmas season.  My goal is to have a Christmas Quilt for each bed.  I'm not sure it will ever happen, but it's good to have a goal :)

Today, I'll be creeping out the house for Halloween.  Yay!  Hello, holidays!  I'm so glad you're back!