Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Where I've been

If you want to know why I haven't posted in a while, head over to my other blog for the whole story.
Suffice it to say, I've been unexpectedly busy.

At the time of my last blog here, I had no idea I would be involved in what I'm doing now.

Life's funny that way.  Just when you say to yourself you're ready to take a breather for a while, something else comes along and you're up to your neck in it.

As Dori says, " Just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming."

And of course, starting something new doesn't mean the other parts of your life disappear.  Two weekends ago, we had to make a run down to St. George for a family funeral.

Funerals are kind of a schizophrenic event.  On the one hand, they are deeply sad as you say good-bye to someone who will be dearly missed.  On the other hand, they are an event that causes the entire family to gather, so you end up seeing people you haven't seen in years which is cause for joy and celebration.
At the funeral you all cry together, yet as always happens at any family gathering, eventually the story telling starts and you end up laughing until you cry.  So in a weird way, funerals end up being kind of a blessing.

These are most of my cousins on my Dad's side.  The beautiful family that I am tethered to.
Flanking me are my beloved cousins David and Debi.  Probably the two people in the world who best know how truly dorky I am.  We laughed as we recollected playing Star Trek and Kung Fu together out in the old "Rumpus Room."  We recited all the commercials we made up and taped on David's reel-to-reel tape recorder.  
Debi and I doubled over with laughter when we remembered how at 6 years old we were pretending to be pregnant and walked around with pillows under our shirts.  When it came time for us to deliver our babies we only knew one thing, a doctor said push and the pregnant woman screamed.  So that is just how we played it.  She said push and I screamed until she eventually handed me my dolly and I pretended to weep with joy.  Then I did the same for her.  
Oh yeah, memories like that are the ties that bind.
It had been over twenty years since we had seen each other.  I will never let it go that long again.  




And of course, the quilting goes on.  Right now, I'm not making them for anyone in particular.  Just using up my stash.  



How cute is this "Itsy, Bitsy Spider" fabric??


I'll probably just donate these to Humanitarian Aid services for my church.  Maybe they can find a couple of children who need something colorful to hold on to.  

This is my latest project.  I've always wanted to make a black and white quilt so here is the pattern I decided on.




These are the fabrics I'm thinking of using for a border.  With all the black and white, I just think it needs a pop of color.  Which one do you think looks best?

Life is busy but good.  I guess a person can't ask for more.

P.S.-I love you David and Debi