Friday, June 12, 2015

Nesting

So apparently thinking that I might have a serious illness unlocks crazy nesting instincts in me.  Lately, I have been absolutely obsessed with anything and everything that is homemaking.  I have been cleaning, organizing, decorating, baking, gardening and quilting like a madwoman.  It's insane but I can't seem to help myself.

In the last 8 weeks, I have re-landscaped all my flowerbeds (looking beautiful), attempted to make macaroons 3 times (epic fail), added several new pieces to my decor (fun), changed the shelf paper in my kitchen (long over due) and finished off three quilts.  Oh yeah, topping it off, I have started to teach a new yoga class (ohm, baby).

I'm pretty sure my mania has something to do with feeling a complete lack of control over my health right now.

I'm not really sure what's going on with me, I'm just running with it.

I've been slowly working on these sailboat blocks for a while now.  They're pretty labor intensive with a lot of cutting and scraps.  One day after I finished a block, I looked down at the pile of scraps on the floor and was seized with the desire to put them all together into a quilt.

I had it together and on my quilting machine in three days flat.

 

Here's the finished product.  I love it so much.  As we speak, it is draped over the back of my couch and even though it's officially summer, I still snuggle under it every night.  

In every quilt I make, I always have a favorite block.  The bit of random text sewn into this block wins that honor for this quilt.  

I'm probably telling you more than you care to know but I sashed it with Essex Linen in Steel Gray.  It looks awesome.

The plaid border delights me as does the pieced binding.  



I had an extra block so I pieced it into the back.
I have visions of sitting on this quilt to watch 4th of July fireworks as well as enjoying several summer picnics.



Rediscovered stash fabrics are the inspiration for this baby boy quilt.  


I found these two companion fabrics hidden among my fabrics and fell in love with them all over again.  

I love that the design says "roooow, roooow" on it because that is the exact sound my boys used to make when they played with their matchbox cars.  

I made this quilt from the same pattern as the other.  


I backed it and bound it with a nice snugly flannel.  

This is my favorite block for this quilt.  The blue bird charms me.  
Those two quilts will going into my "for future grandchildren" pile.  That's where all of the quilts go that I can't bear to part with.



These three quilts are the next on my to-do list.  Actually, I quilted the last one today.  I just have to bind it.  


As for the house, I've reorganized my sewing room.  Rearranging the furniture makes it feel roomier and easier to work in.  

I found these metal letters at Pottery Barn and new they would look great over the bed in the master bedroom.  Appropriate don't you think?  

This room is definitely my retreat so I am very particular about each and every piece I put in it. 

Before the letters went over the bed, this framed print was the last thing that went up and that was over a year ago.  I found it at a craft fair last summer and just had to have it.  I didn't know then how much it would mean to me now.  

It says, "She blossomed not despite her pain, but because she trusted God in the midst of it."
I'm trying to do just that.