Saturday, October 10, 2015

My newest favorite



This one's a keeper. It doesn't match a single room in my house.  I have no idea where I'm going to put it.  But, I love everything about it.

Do you not love the burst of color amid all the grey and black?  Plus, there's the name of the block used for the over-all pattern.  It's called Lotus Leaf. Since the Lotus Leaf is such a huge symbol in yoga, it's fitting that I should have a quilt made from lotus leaf blocks now that I am a certified yoga teacher.

In fact, I love it so much I was afraid to quilt it.  I wanted to do something really special, but that just kept me frozen in fear.  Finally, I decided just to go for it and I did what I felt comfortable doing; a simple meander.  I did get a little crazy adding a few, random loopity-loops here and there.  
I wanted the stitching to stand out a bit so I used a neutral, gray thread rather than plain white.  
It turned out okay, but I really need to get brave and expand my free-motion skills.  

I kept the back pretty simple.  Just a plain fabric broken up by this stripe of fabric.  Though, the colors in the stripe match the colors of the star on the front.  


I bound the quilt with the same fabric I used for the stripe.  It all came together so well.  I'll definitely bring this to show at my next guild meeting.  



And, just when I thought I was done canning...I was the victim of the dreaded produce ding-dong ditch.  That's what I call it when I open the front door and find random bags of cucumbers and tomatoes sitting on my porch.  
I know what you're thinking, why didn't I just throw them away.  I mean, who would know?  
Well, I would.  I am pathological when it comes to not wasting food.  I absolutely cannot do it. So unsolicited or not, if I find food on my doorstep, I simply must do something with it.  
And, I'm just joking when I say dreaded.  I think it's pretty cool to live in a place where neighbors share their bounty.  I think the word for that is...community.  I love it.