Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Christmas All Through The House

I love the house once the Christmas decorations go up.

Of course, with 34 years worth of decorations to put up, the process is kind of exhausting but definitely worth it.
I say 34 years because that's how long Matt and I have been married, but truthfully I began collecting decorations for my hope chest well before I even met him.

I embroidered these stockings while still in high school.  If I remember right, it was a project for Home Ec.  Of course, the names didn't go on until much later.  I think Damen was a teenager by the time I finally got around to it.  


As I look around, I realize just how many of my decorations are handmade. There are nutcrackers and nativities left over from my folk art days.


Of course, there are the quilts.
And with so many, the decorations are starting to spread throughout the house. 



The tree is given the place of honor at the front window in the library/music room.

There's also this corner on the kitchen island...

and this dresser in the master bedroom...

even a small corner of the guest bath. 

This year, since this is the room the Grandchildren will sleep in, the guest room got the royal treatment with festive flannel sheets... 

and my collection of new and old Christmas books just waiting for bedtime. 

Favorite stuffed animals leftover from my youth, got a little sprucing up for the season as well.  

And then, there are these lovelies.  My treasured collection of vintage Harold Gale Santas.  Oh, how I love them.  They are spread throughout the house.

Here is the one that started it all.  This jolly fellow sat under the tree every year during my own childhood.  I finally convinced my mom to part with it, all though it wasn't easy.  

I inherited this one from my beloved Aunt Twila. 

From there it has grown into a bit of an obsession.  I'm always stalking Ebay to see if any pop up.  

This delightful specimen is my newest acquisition.  Since I have so many red suited ones, I'm now interested in more rare finds.  I finally got this gold one for a reasonable price.  Now I'm on the hunt for those in white, pink and the rarest of all green, suits.  Whenever I've seen these they cost a mint!  

Actually, I've never even seen a green suited one for sale. I only know they exist because my other beloved Aunt, Mitzi, used to and may still own one.  I'm pretty sure that my mom and Aunts all got them at the same time.  I think they were a holiday give-away from when my uncle owned his Shell station on the highway. 

If you know anyone who still has one and would be willing to part with it, send them my way.  

And Aunt Mitzi, if you still have your green one maybe you could hook a girl up.  I'm sure we can come to some agreement :) 


Of course, I never forget that this is what the season is really about.  Everything else is just fluff.

This nativity is handmade as well, by my mother no less!  If you knew how un-crafty she is you would understand why I give it such a place of honor.  I still can't believe she made it for me.  

This tacky brooch from the ugly sweater section of the local party store, spoke to me.  At 50% off I went ahead and sprung for it.  I've never been to an ugly sweater party but now I'm ready if I ever get invited.  Who knows, maybe next year I'll host one.  

Anyway, it sums up my wishes for all of you.  

Merry Christmas, everyone.