Sunday, March 6, 2016

Quilting and random stuff

I got it finished and I love it with every fiber of my being.  Dramatic but true.  I don't exactly know why, either.  I think it's because it looks so retro. Whatever it is, this quilt speaks to me.  


I decided to get creative with the quilting on this one.   I just kind of went for it.  

For the center, I used a technique I found online called "Bottom's Up Heart".  I like the design and negative space it creates  

Here's the back.

This is the only fabric I bought for the entire quilt.  I couldn't resist.  I have a thing for fabric with words or newsprint on it.  Plus, I thought the design added to the retro feel of the quilt.  

I misread the cutting instructions and ended up with a ton of left over 2 1/2" squares.  Rather than let them go to waste, I just stitched them together and piece them into the back.  

And a happy little green floral for the binding was just the thing.  

I've given this one the place of honor on the back of the couch.  It definitely adds to the farmhouse look I'm going for in my house. 

Speaking of which, here's a couple of my newest additions.  I found this lovely metal picnic basket this week on a shopping trip with my mom.  I had to have it.  I couldn't wait to get it home and put it on the top of my kitchen cabinets.  

Unfortunately, when I saw the dirt and grease that had accumulated up there, it set off a cleaning storm that my sore muscles are still recovering from.  Have you ever looked at the top of your cabinets?  Don't do it, save yourself.  

I spent hours washing, wiping and lining the top of all my cabinets with newspaper.  Newspaper, you ask?  Yep.  It's a handy way to save myself from every having do this again.  From now on, when it gets dirty up there, all I will have to do is take down the soiled paper and re-line with new.  


The tray and bottles are some other finds I've picked up recently.  I'm kind of on a kick for galvanized metal lately.  This obsession will probably come back later to bite me in the backside, but for now I can't get enough of the stuff.  

And speaking of shopping with my mom, that little outing was to celebrate her 78th birthday.  We've kind of been celebrating all week.  Today she came over for a dinner with these cupcakes I made for dessert. Have I ever mentioned how much mom likes chocolate?

And here's a fun little Walmart find.  I put one of these in each of the cupcakes.  They're tiny sparklers.  I love the look of sparklers on a cake but they tend to be expensive and hard to find unless you happen to have a birthday in July.  

Lastly, here's what I've been reading lately. I highly recommend it.  It's a great read on the true meaning of hospitality and it's implications for the true follower of Christ. Let me know what you think of it if you decide to give it a try.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  

Here's a peak at what's on my quilting table.  I'm loving this design. 

This week, I'm on my way to Maui for a visit with a girlfriend.  Sun, sand, and a spa day at the Grand Wailea Pools.  I'm beyond excited.  Aloha!