Monday, May 23, 2016

Happiness

So, several people have asked me about my last blog and what I mean't when I said I needed cheering up.

First of all, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to be vague and cryptic.  It's just that when I started this blog I made a promise to you and to myself that I would focus on the positive and not let this space become a place where all I do is whine about life.

Having said that, I will say this...

About three months ago I injured myself in a fitness class I was subbing.  I had already taught two yoga classes that day so my muscles were already very fatigued. Then during class, I was demonstrating a squat and my left hamstring blew out.

Since then it has been nothing but burning pain, ice packs, physical therapy, painful acupuncture and limited mobility.  Very frustrating!!!

Along with that, it became apparent to me (through a situation I'm not going to go into here) that someone I thought cared about me, really didn't.  At least, not in the way or even as much as I thought they did.

This was a pretty shocking and painful revelation since this person has been in my life since I was, literally, a teen.  Anyway, after much prayer, I realized it was time to let that person go.

Now, I've never been through a divorce but I imagine this is kind of the same thing.  And while I know it's necessary, it is nevertheless painful and fills me with sadness.

I've been allowing myself time to grieve and getting through the grieving by filling my life with other things that make me happy.

On that note, here's what's been making me happy lately.

Kade graduated!! Not just with one degree but with two!  One in Economics and one in Finance. Can I get a big WOO HOO for his job well done.  I'm so happy for him.  This has been a long time coming for him and I am thrilled that he has been able to accomplish this goal.

He decided not to walk for the ceremony.  I was a bit disappointed at first, but when he explained to me that he would rather spend the day with his family instead of trudging through a boring ceremony, I was on board.


It was a great time!  Damen & his fam came up for the weekend and we spent the time 4-wheeling, smoking various meats and even a bit of glow-in-the-dark bowling.  The little ones had a blast.


Then, last weekend Christy decided to take Mason (along with Minda and some other family members) on an 80 mile bike ride in Southern Utah.  (She's such a great Mom!)

So, Damen brought Maddie up to spend the weekend.  We had such a good time together.  She's definitely my little pal.  She "helped" me plant the garden which in Grandma speak, that means she had fun watering the dirt and playing in the mud.  

And, let me just stop here to make a plug for this wonderful find. 

The kids never really eat that well when they are visiting. They are just too darn excited and having too much fun to take the time to stop and eat a good meal. However, about a month ago I saw this little baby on Amazon and thought it might be just the trick. 

I tried to post a little video here of Maddie eating her breakfast but try though I might I couldn't get it to work. Curse you, Blogger!!

Trust me when I say, it worked like a charm.  If you have a hard time getting your little ones to eat, give this a try.


Lastly, I finished the top for my "It Takes a Village" quilt.  This one is a definite keeper.  I love, love, love it.  We have terrible lighting downstairs, so it's hard to see how great the colors come together.  


At least in these close-ups you can see the grey village print I used for the borders.  


Here's the fabric that I'll be using for the back and binding. When I saw this print with the little houses and phrases about home-town, I knew this was the one. BTW, this fabric is the only one I bought for the whole quilt. Everything else came from what I already had. I'm still working on my goal to downsize my stash. It's coming along nicely.  

The binding is going to be sewn from left over strips from the front.  I think I'm going to raw-edge bind it. It's such a whimsical quilt, I think it will add a nice touch.  

Well, that's it for now. FYI, both my hamstring and my feelings are on the mend. Some things just take time.