Sunday, November 13, 2016

Election Therapy

If you're like me then this election has been excruciating for you.  In fact, the last two weeks were so bad for me that there where days I simply turned off all media, shut off the outside world and spent the day in the sewing room.  Needless to say, I've gotten a lot done.  

This stack of fabric was gathered for a baby quilt I have been commissioned to make.  My cousin, Cyndi, asked me to make it for her daughter (my 2nd cousin, Heidi) who is due in January.  That gives me plenty of time to get it done, but all the time in the sewing room has made me very productive.

The theme for the nursery is elephants so I scoured the internet until I found the most darling pattern. The blocks turned out even better than I hoped.  

Birds and a turtle...

Some poppies to be scattered throughout...

And a frog.  I did a bit of appliqué and machine embroidery for eyes and legs.  Drum roll, please... 

It came together so well.  

It seems that every time I make a quilt it becomes my new favorite but I think this might be my all time most beloved.  I'm thrilled to know it will be kept in the family.  Maybe it might even become an heirloom.  

Considering that the aftermath of the election is even more hateful than the actual event, I have a feeling I'll be spending considerable more time in the sewing room.  I've sworn off media for the foreseeable future so I'll probably have it quilted by the end of the week.  

If you are interested in purchasing it, the pattern is called Elephants on Parade and I found it here.  

I don't have much else to say.  Nationally, it's been an exhausting few months and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.  I have no power to change that.  Personally, I'm just going to gather those I love close and love them.  And more than that, I'm going to be kind to everyone I can.  It's all I can think to do.