Wednesday, March 1, 2017

On The Design Wall

If you're a quilter or fabric lover, you'll totally get what I'm about to write.  If not, sorry.

Have you ever seen a line of fabric that just stops you in your tracks?  You have no earthly reason to buy it, no project in the works that it will even work for.  You try to walk away.  In fact, you kind of pace around the fabric store as that scolding voice in your head tries to talk you out of it.
"Now, you KNOW you don't need any more fabric, gurrl." (Apparently, when I scold myself I channel Minny Jackson from The Help.)"What you goin' do with that??" That sewin' room of yours' startin' to look like a level five hoarder lives there!"
This can actually go on for quite a while as I pick up the fabric, put down the fabric, walk away from the fabric and then come back to said fabric over and over again.

Sometimes Minny wins...and sometimes she doesn't. Bwah ha ha.


In fact, I was so possessed by this fabric that immediately after I got home with it, I started cutting and sewing.  I had this quilt finished in two days flat.  I think that's a new land-speed record for me.

Sorry about the bad photos.  My basement sewing room doesn't have great lighting at the best of times and I took these at night, so it's even worse. Hopefully, you can get the gist of just how darling this fabric is.  I mean sheep, bears with honey pots, bunnies and carrots, now I ask you however was I to resist?

And, check out the pea pods, too heavenly.  You know the really crazy part? There is no one I know who currently needs a baby quilt.  Actually, that's probably a good thing because I don't think I can ever part with it.  Take that, Minny!

This one stays with me.  I think I'll even enter it in this years fair.  Now, I just have to figure out the perfect way to quilt it.  

But wait, now that I'm studying the photos, I see I made a huge mistake. Did you catch it? The lower pink HST is sewn wrong.  It should be flipped the other direction. I can't believe I didn't see it before now! (Enter appropriate curse word here.)  There's definitely a seam ripper in my near future.  I guess Minny has ways of getting her revenge. Sigh.

I haven't done much quilting since before the holidays but working on that project really got my creative juices flowing again.  Here's what I'm working on now.  Another fabric I am totally in love with.  Another quilt that will most definitely stay with me.  


Once that's done, here's the next one in the queue.  

It feels good to get back in the sewing room and as you can see, it looks like I've got my work cut out for me.